University of Melbourne
Sponsor: The College of Global Studies, Arcadia University
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Description:With more than 30,000 students and nearly 2,000 teaching staff, students can choose from a variety of courses at one of Australia’s top five institutions. Faculties of Architecture, Arts, Economics and Commerce, Engineering, Music and Science are all popular among study abroad students.
- Full Year
Term Notes: This program follows the Australian academic calendar: Fall Quarter begins in early July and ends in November. Winter/Spring Quarters begin in early February and end in late June. Full Year is either February through November (the Australian academic year) or early July through late June (the U.S. academic year). Students may choose either option.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an Arcadia application by the program's deadline
You will enroll in 16 US semester hours of credit for Fall Quarter or Winter/Spring Quarters, which is equivalent to 44-50 units at the University of Melbourne.
Note: NU students cannot receive credit at Northwestern for the courses offered by the Faculty of Education at the University of Melbourne:
- “Education in Natural Landscapes": Students should consider enrolling instead in "Exploring Central Australia," a course taught by the Australia Centre in the Faculty of Arts for which students may receive credit at Northwestern.
- "School Experience – International”: This course involves a teaching practicum in a local school. Students may not enroll in the course as part of their regular course load.
- Self-catered student apartments with other Arcadia students at the Arcadia University Melbourne Center, located in the St. Kilda suburb, which is approximately 30 minutes by tram from the University of Melbourne.
- On-campus residential colleges with Australian students. Spots are limited, competitive, and include an additional cost.
Program Costs:Estimated costs, Fall 2012
(See the program site for the most updated cost information.)
- Tuition: $19,370
- Room & board: $8,630
- SAAF: $2,400
- Transportation: $2,225
- Books & supplies: $300
- Personal expenses: $1,310
- Visa & fees: $550
- Total estimated costs: $34,785