University of Melbourne
Sponsor: The College of Global Studies, Arcadia University
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia's second largest city with more than 3.5 million people, Melbourne was ranked as the World's Most Liveable City by the Economist in 2013. The University of Melbourne, one of Australia's 8 leading institutions, is situated in the heart of the city, though the University maintains its own clearly defined community and campus. Students have access to a wide variety of courses, with the Faculties of Architecture, Arts, Economics and Commerce, Engineering, Music and Science the most popular among study abroad students.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
Term Notes: This program follows the Australian academic calendar: Fall Quarter begins in early July and ends in November. Winter/Spring Quarters begin in early February and end in late June. Full Year is either February through November (the Australian academic year) or early July through late June (the U.S. academic year). Students may choose either option.
Carefully review Choosing Courses to Take Abroad. Arcadia University requires students to enroll in 12-16 semester credits; however, if you hope to earn the maximum of 6 units at Northwestern per semester, you will need to enroll in a minimum of 15 semester credits. This is particularly important for students participating on the program during Winter + Spring quarters.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an Arcadia application by the program's deadline
- Self-catered student apartments with other Arcadia students at the Arcadia University Melbourne Center, located in the popular St. Kilda suburb, which is approximately 30 minutes by tram from the University of Melbourne. You will be accommodated in single bedrooms and share bathroom facilities.
- On-campus residential college with Australian students (spots are limited, competitive, and include an additional cost)
- For more housing details, visit Arcadia's Housing Overview page.
Fall 2016: $30,680
Billed by Northwestern: $19,580
- Tuition: $16,960
- Study Abroad Fee: $2,620
Estimated additional costs: $11,100
- Housing: $4,950
- Meals: $1,700
- Airfare: $1,850
- Local transportation: $495
- Books & supplies: $225
- Personal expenses: $1,490
- Visa: $390
Financial Aid & Scholarships