University of Melbourne
Sponsor: The College of Global Studies, Arcadia University
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne, Australia's second largest city with more than 3.5 million people, is a city of neighborhoods and one that most Australian's recognize for its restaurants, cafes and artistic and cultural events. The University of Melbourne, one of Australia's leading institutions, is situated in the heart of the city, though the University maintains its own clearly defined community and campus. With more than 30,000 students and nearly 2,000 teaching staff, students can choose from a variety of courses in the Faculties of Arts, Economics and Commerce, Engineering, Music and Science, all of which are popular among study abroad students.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
Term Notes: This program follows the Australian academic calendar: Fall Quarter begins in early July and ends in November. Winter/Spring Quarters begin in early February and end in late June. Full Year is either February through November (the Australian academic year) or early July through late June (the U.S. academic year). Students may choose either option.
- NU students must enroll in a minimum of 15 semester credits per semester, which translates to approximately 50 units at the University of Melbourne.
- NU students cannot receive credit at Northwestern for the courses offered by the Faculty of Education at the University of Melbourne, including:
- “Education in Natural Landscapes": Students should consider enrolling instead in "Exploring Central Australia," a course taught by the Australia Centre in the Faculty of Arts for which students may receive credit at Northwestern.
- "School Experience – International”: This course involves a teaching practicum in a local school. Students may not enroll in the course as part of their regular course load.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an Arcadia application by the program's deadline
- Self-catered student apartments with other Arcadia students at the Arcadia University Melbourne Center, located in the popular St. Kilda suburb, which is approximately 30 minutes by tram from the University of Melbourne.
- On-campus residential college with Australian students (spots are limited, competitive, and include an additional cost)
- For more details about University of Melbourne housing options, visit Arcadia's Housing Overview page.
Fall 2015: $32,570
Billed by Northwestern: $20,780
- Tuition: $18,220
- SAAF: $2,560
Estimated additional costs: $11,790
- Housing: $5,450
- Meals: $1,930
- Airfare: $1,850
- Local transportation: $585
- Books & supplies: $265
- Personal expenses: $1,175
- Visa: $535
Financial Aid & Scholarships