Year of Study in Munich
Sponsor: Lewis & Clark College
Location: Munich, Germany
This full-year program creates an environment and academic experience that emphasizes the necessity of a long-term commitment to acquiring excellent language skills and a solid familiarity with the host culture. Northwestern students have access to leading research universities in Germany: the Ludwig-Maximilian University (LMU) and the Technical University (TU) in Munich, both of which have played a major role in the development of Munich as a significant hub for research, education and high-tech industrial production.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
Term Notes: This program follows the German academic calendar. Students typically arrive in Munich in September for the Pre-semester Program (a four-week orientation program that includes an intensive language course). Winter Semester typically runs from mid-October through February. Summer Semester typically runs from mid-April through mid-July.
- Students must take at least one “regular” University course taught in German for local university students during the Fall Quarter and two regular courses during the Winter/Spring Quarters.
- For regular courses at LMU and TUM: Be sure to let your professors know that you must earn a letter grade in the course; otherwise you will earn a Pass/Fail grade, which is not transferable to Northwestern.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by January 15th.
- Complete a Lewis & Clark application by their February 9th deadline.
Language Requirements:2 years or the equivalent of college-level German
Housing:Students live in the Studentenstadt, "Student City," about 10 minutes by subway from the university
Full Year 2015-2016: $47,114
Billed by Northwestern: $41,558
- Tuition: $29,803
- Housing & residence permit: $7,585
- SAAF: $4,170
Estimated additional costs: $7,362
- Airfare: $1,360
- Local transportation: $350
- Books & supplies: $210
- Meals & personal expenses: $5,100
- HTH: $342
Financial Aid & Scholarships