Year of Study in Munich
Sponsor: Lewis & Clark College
Location: Munich, Germany
A unique, full-year program, Year of Study in Munich is a good fit for independent-minded students committed to improving their German and integrating with local students. Students have access to leading research universities in Germany: the Ludwig-Maximilian University (LMU) and the Technical University (TUM), both of which have played a major role in the development of Munich as a significant hub for research, education and high-tech industrial production. Students combine German-taught program courses with a wide variety of regular courses at LMU or TUM in the humanities, science and engineering.
The program follows the German academic calendar. Students typically arrive in Munich in September for the Pre-semester Program (a four-week orientation program that includes an intensive language course). Winter Semester typically runs from mid-October through February. Summer Semester typically runs from mid-April through mid-July. During the semester break from March through mid-April, students can pursue a non-credit internship at a local corporation or a study project while travelling through Europe.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
- Regular courses at LMU and TUM: Make sure to let your professors know that you must earn a letter grade in the course; otherwise you will earn a Pass/Fail grade, which is not transferable to Northwestern. Review Choosing Courses to Take Abroad for more information about transferable courses.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by January 15th.
- Complete a Lewis & Clark application by their February 8, 2016 deadline.
- 2 years or the equivalent of college-level German
Housing:Students live in the self-catered residence hall, Studentenstadt, or "Student City," about 10 minutes by subway from the university. S
Full Year 2016-2017: $50,582
Billed by Northwestern: $43,107
- Tuition: $31,045
- Housing & residence permit: $7,787
- Study Abroad Fee: $4,275
Estimated additional costs: $7,475
- Airfare: $1,150
- Local transportation: $350
- Books & supplies: $225
- Meals & personal expenses: $5,280
- HTH: $470
Financial Aid & Scholarships