Sponsor: IES Abroad
Location: Vienna, Austria
The world-renowned Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, the Musikverein, and the Staatsoper are just a few of the many leading institutions that help make Vienna a true “city of music”—and make it the perfect location for an engaging study of Music History and Performance. This academically wide-ranging program gives music students the unique opportunity to develop their performance skills in the Music Performance Workshop, receive one-on-one private lessons with instructors from some of the top orchestras and music schools in Vienna, and enroll in English- and German-taught courses in Music History, Theory, and Composition. Students also enroll in a German language course and can combine music studies with English-taught courses in the humanties and social sciences as well as an internship option.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
- Affiliated for music majors only.
- The IES Abroad Vienna course, CU/IB 210: The Business of Wine: From Vine to Glass, is not transferable to Northwestern because NU does not have a related undergraduate department. Review Taking Business and Law Courses Abroad for additional information and Choosing Courses to Take Abroad
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete a Northwestern Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an IES Abroad application by the program's deadline
Languages: English, German
None; however, students are required to take one German-language course or one course taught in German for each term enrolled on the program.
- Shared apartments, residence halls, or housing with local residents
- All housing options self-catered.
Fall 2016: $31,005
Billed by Northwestern: $19,190
- Tuition: $16,570
- Study Abroad Fee: $2,620
Estimated additional costs: $11,815
- Housing & insurance: $4,630
- Meals: $2,690
- Airfare: $1,000
- Local transportation: $300
- Books & supplies: $235
- Music lessons: $850
- Personal expenses: $2,000
- Visa & fees: $110
Financial Aid & Scholarships