Sponsor: IES Abroad
Location: Vienna, Austria
The world-renowned Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, the Musikverein, and the Staatsoper are just a few of the many leading institutions that help make Vienna a true “city of music”—and make it the perfect location for an engaging study of Music History and Performance. This academically wide-ranging program gives music students the unique opportunity to develop their performance skills in the Music Performance Workshop, receive one-on-one private lessons with instructors from some of the top orchestras and music schools in Vienna, and enroll in English- and German-taught courses in Music History, Theory, and Composition. Students also enroll in a German language course and can combine music studies with English-taught courses in the humanties and social sciences as well as an internship option.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
- Affiliated for music majors only.
- Read Credit Enrollment requirements for information about maintaining a full-time course load while abroad.
- Read Internships and Service Learning for specific information about earning credit for internships.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an IES Abroad application by the program's deadline
Languages: English, German
None; however, students are required to take one German-language course or one course taught in German for each term enrolled on the program.
- Shared apartments, residence halls, or housing with local residents
- All housing options self-catered.
Fall 2015: $31,960
Billed by Northwestern: $18,890
- Tuition: $16,330
- SAAF: $2,560
Estimated additional costs: $13,070
- Housing & insurance: $4,870
- Meals: $3,285
- Airfare: $1,325
- Local transportation: $260
- Books & supplies: $265
- Music lessons: $840
- Personal expenses: $2,100
- Visa & fees: $125
Financial Aid & Scholarships