Sponsor: IES Abroad
Location: Vienna, Austria
Description:The world-renowned Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, the Musikverein, and the Staatsoper are just a few of the many leading institutions that help make Vienna a true “city of music”—and make it the perfect location for an engaging study of Music History and Performance. This academically wide-ranging program gives music students the unique opportunity to develop their performance skills in the Music Performance Workshop, receive one-on-one music instruction, and enroll in English- and German-taught courses in Music History, Theory, and Composition. Students all have access to non-Music courses in Austrian History, Literature, Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology.
- Full Year
- This program is affiliated for music majors only.
- Read Internships and Service Learning for specific information about earning credit for internships.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an IES Abroad application by the program's deadline
Languages: English, German
- None; however, students will be required to take one German-language course or one course taught in German for each term enrolled on the program.
- Recommended for Full Year or Winter/Spring Quarters: Students with advanced German proficiency should take a “regular” University course taught in German for local university students.
Housing:Shared apartments and residence halls
Program Costs:Estimated costs, Fall 2012
(See the program site for the most updated cost information.)