Sponsor: IES Abroad
Location: Vienna, Austria
The world-renowned Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, the Musikverein, and the Staatsoper are just a few of the many leading institutions that help make Vienna a true “city of music”—and make it the perfect location for an engaging study of Music History and Performance. This academically wide-ranging program gives music students the unique opportunity to develop their performance skills in the Music Performance Workshop, receive one-on-one private lessons with instructors from some of the top orchestras and music schools in Vienna, and enroll in English- and German-taught courses in Music History, Theory, and Composition. Students also have access to non-Music courses in Austrian History, Literature, Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology as well as an internship option.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
- Affiliated for music majors only.
- Read Internships and Service Learning for specific information about earning credit for internships.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an IES Abroad application by the program's deadline
Languages: English, German
None; however, students are required to take one German-language course or one course taught in German for each term enrolled on the program.
- Shared apartments
- Residence halls
Fall 2014: $32,830
Billed by Northwestern: $18,235
- Tuition: $15,735
- SAAF: $2,500
Estimated additional costs: $14,595
- Housing: $4,460
- Meals: $3,800
- Airfare: $1,400
- Local transportation: $375
- Books & supplies: $250
- Required music lessons: $1,880
- Personal expenses: $1,950
- Visa & fees: $135
- IES insurance: $200
- HTH: $145