SU Abroad in Florence
Sponsor: Syracuse University
Location: Florence, Italy
Description:Like many study abroad programs in Florence, SU Abroad’s program in Florence is large but offers students many opportunities to immerse themselves in Italian culture. The program is run like a top-quality small college, with many departments and particularly strong courses in Italian language, art history, and studio arts. Most students enroll in "Option I", which involves taking an Italian language course plus four elective courses taught in English at the SU Florence Center. Students who have completed two years or more of college-level Italian qualify for "Option II" and "Option III”, which involves taking some Italian-taught courses at the Centro di Cultura per Stranieri (part of the University of Florence) or regular courses at the University of Florence. Internship options are also available.
- Full Year
- NU students must enroll in a minimum of 15 semester credits per semester, even though SU Abroad only requires 12 credits.
- NU does not accept credit in transfer for courses worth 1-semester credit. If you enroll in a 1-semester credit course, it must be in addition to the required 15 semester credits.
- Students must ensure that courses are considered transferable by NU, i.e. that the subject matter is taught at the undergraduate level at NU. The "Mediterranean Food and Culture: A Florence Experience" course, for example, is not considered transferable because NU does not offer a department of Nutrition Science & Dietetics at the undergraduate level.
- Read Internships and Service Learning for specific information about earning credit for internships.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an SU Abroad application by the program's deadline
Languages: Italian, English
Housing:Homestays. Exception: Students in the studio art and pre-architecture tracks are housed in apartments together.
Fall 2014: $33,179
Billed by Northwestern: $22,690
- Tuition: $20,190
- SAAF: $2,500
Estimated additional costs: $10,489
- Room & partial board: $2,400
- Additional meals: $2,975
- Airfare: $1,685
- Books & supplies: $574
- Personal expenses: $2,500
- Italian registration: $210
- HTH: $145