Strasbourg Field Study & Internship Program
Sponsor: Internships in Francophone Europe (IFE)
Location: Strasbourg, France
The only city in Europe besides Geneva to host international bodies while not a national capital, Strasbourg offers a broad, grassroots canvas of France today beyond the confines of Paris. Located close to the border of Germany, Strasbourg is the capital of the Alsace region of eastern France and the official seat of the European Parliament.
This small, intense program gives independent-minded students with strong French language skills the opportunity to complete a 12-week internship and independent research experience, culminating in a lengthy field-based research paper written in French. The program has two phases: (1) 5 weeks of introductory courses on French political life and social issues, (2) a 12-week intensive internship. The internship phase is coupled with an ongoing, weekly seminar course on the impact and ethics of globalization with emphasis on Alsace, France and the European Union. Through individualized internship placements as well as a structured, individually-attentive academic program, the Strasbourg Field Study & Internship program suits the academic needs and personal interests of students from a wide variety of discplines.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Read Credit Enrollment requirements for information about maintaining a full-time course load while abroad.
- Read Internships and Service Learning for specific information about earning credit for internships.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an IFE application by the program's deadline
- 2 years or the equivalent of college-level French
- Highly recommend completion of at least two 200-level French courses at Northwestern prior to the program start.
- Foyers or family housing
- Meal plans vary based on housing option
- Read IFE's Housing Overview for more details about housing and meals
Fall 2015: approx. $21,650
Billed by Northwestern:
Estimated additional costs: $10,602
- Room & board: $5,500
- Airfare: $1,400
- Local transportation: $400
- Books & supplies: $100
- Personal expenses: $2,800
- Visa & fees: $250
- HTH: $152