Spanish Language & Culture Summer Program in Barcelona
Sponsor: Northwestern University Study Abroad Office, in conjunction with the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF)
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Located in one of Europe's most cosmopolitan and dynamic cities, Northwestern's customized summer program in Barcelona gives students the unique opportunity to increase their Spanish language skills while experiencing first-hand the city's architectural, artistic, and multi-cultural wonders.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is one of the leading institutions in Spain, known for its international environment and cutting edge academics. UPF has collaborated with the Northwestern Department of Spanish and Portuguese to create a special program for Northwestern students. Northwestern faculty member Elisa Baena will teach a course on modern Spain and serve as Resident Director on the program.
The university is centrally located in the heart of the city, close to La Rambla, the waterfront, and Ciutadella Park. The program will offer Spanish language and culture courses, focusing on the city of Barcelona and the region of Catalonia. Through a combination of coursework and excursions to Madrid and sites in and around Barcelona, students will experience a city and culture where modernity and tradition go hand in hand.
Term Notes: June 21 - August 2, 2014
Students enroll in 3 classes:
- Spanish Grammar Course (1 credit)
- Spanish Conversation Course (1 credit)
- Culture Course (1 credit)
- Each course has multiple sections. Students are placed in the section that is appropriate for their language level.
- Intermediate students may have the opportunity to pass out of the second year of the Weinberg (WCAS) language requirement on this program; however, it is not guaranteed. Students must take the placement exam with the Spanish Department upon completion of the program.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Participate in an interview with the Study Abroad Adviser for Spain. Call the Study Abroad Office to schedule: 847-467-6400.
- Participate in an interview with the Faculty Director, Elisa Baena. Please email email@example.com to schedule.
- Complete a Northwestern Summer Study Abroad Application by March 1.
- At least one year of college-level Spanish.
- Students are encouraged to enroll in at least one Spanish course during the same academic year as the summer program.
Shared apartment-like rooms in the residence hall RESA Residencia Campus Del Mar, located in the Barceloneta neighborhood, a ten-minute walk to the UPF Main Ciutadella Campus where classes will be held.
- Room amenities include a bathroom, kitchen, air conditioning, closet space, television, telephone, desk, and Internet access.
- The Residencia also has a 24-hour reception desk, a night security guard, a small computer lab, laundry facilities, vending machines, and a study lounge.
- The Residencia is located near many grocery stores and markets, two Metro stops, and many of the popular neighborhoods of central Barcelona, including the Barri Gotic, La Ribera and the Borne District.
Summer 2014: $8,600
- The program fee includes: tuition, housing, orientation, Madrid weekend excursion, 3 group dinners, program cell phone, program excursions & activities, HTH Worldwide health insurance, the Study Abroad Administrative Fee, and dorm deposit (refundable at end of program if room is damage-free).
- Students should plan to budget an additional $3,300-$3,900 for round-trip airfare, in-country transportation, food, excursions, books, cell phone cards, and personal expenses.
- Undergraduate Language Grants (ULG) support the intensive and experiential learning of foreign languages. The Office of the Provost awards funds to help defray the costs of intensive language study abroad or in the United States.
- Northwestern students receiving financial aid during the academic year may be eligible for summer aid for this program. If awarded, summer assistance may count as one of your 12 quarters of aid eligibility. Visit the Summer Scholarships page for additional information.