Paris Field Study & Internship Program
Sponsor: Internships in Francophone Europe (IFE)
Location: Paris, France
This small, intense program gives independent-minded students with strong French language skills the opportunity to complete a 12-week internship and independent research experience, culminating in a lengthy field-based research paper written in French. The program has two phases: (1) 5 weeks of introductory courses on French political life and social issues, (2) a 12-week intensive internship. The internship phase is coupled with an ongoing, weekly seminar course on European-level identities, public opinion and democratization. Through individualized internship placements as well as a structured, individually-attentive academic program, the Paris Field Study & Internship program suits the academic needs and personal interests of students from a wide variety of disciplines.
- Read Internships and Service Learning for specific information about earning credit for internships.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an IFE application by the program's deadline
- 2 years or the equivalent of college-level French
- The Northwestern Department of French and Italian recommends that students take at least two to three 200-level French courses at Northwestern before beginning the program.
- Foyers or family housing
- Meals may or may not be included in IFE housing options
- Read through IFE's Housing Overview for more details about housing and meals
Fall 2014: approx. $23,750
Billed by Northwestern:
Estimated additional costs: $11,245
- Room & board: $6,000
- Airfare: $1,300
- Local transportation: $450
- Books & supplies: $100
- Personal expenses: $3,000
- Visa & fees: $250
- HTH: $145