Padua: Language & Liberal Arts (Summer)
Sponsor: Boston University
Location: Padua, Italy
Students take six weeks of intensive language and cultural studies courses at the BU Padua Academic Center, which is within walking distance of this university town’s historic center. A small, serious summer program, it is ideal for those with 1-2 years of college level Italian but is also open to those with no previous Italian language background. Students are eligible to earn 3 credits at Northwestern for coursework completed on this program.
Students may combine the summer program with fall or full year study abroad on the Padua Language and Liberal Arts Program provided that they plan ahead and complete the necessary applications for both NU and BU prior to their summer departure.
Term Notes: Mid-June to late July
Course options are dependent on language background.
- No previous Italian language: enroll in two English-taught liberal arts courses, or combine an English-taught course with a first-semester Italian language class.
- At least 1 year of Italian language: enroll in an 8-credit intensive language course covering the equivalent of an entire year of intermediate Italian at NU, or enroll in two English-taught liberal arts courses.
- At least 2 years of Italian language: combine an advanced language class with an Italian-taught liberal arts course.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete the Northwestern Summer Study Abroad Application by March 1.
- Complete the Boston University Application by March 1.
Languages: English, Italian
Summer 2013: $8,610
- The program fee includes tuition, room, board, field trips, emergency travel assistance coverage from BU, and the Study Abroad Administrative Fee.
- Students should plan to budget an additional $2,500-$3,100 for HTH health insurance, round-trip airfare, local transportation, books, meals, and personal expenses.
- Northwestern students receiving financial aid during the academic year may be eligible for summer aid for this program. If awarded, summer assistance may count as one of your 12 quarters of aid eligibility. Visit the Summer Scholarships page for additional information.
- Students are encouraged to apply for outside scholarships to help with the cost of summer study abroad.