Sponsor: IES Abroad
Location: Nantes, France
The sixth largest city in France, Nantes is large enough to be a bustling cultural and economic center but small enough that IES Abroad Nantes is the only permanent US study abroad program there, offering students ample opportunity to practice their French and integrate into everyday French life as much as possible. Nantes is the perfect setting for those looking for serious integration into French language and culture; it is strongly recommended for students who are currently majoring or minoring in French, or those considering the option. Credit-bearing teaching internships in French elementary, junior high and high schools are also available.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
- Full Year students must take one “regular” University course (taught in French for local university students) during Fall Quarter and two during Winter/Spring Quarters.
- Fall Quarter-only or Winter/Spring Quarters students must take one “regular” University course during their term abroad.
- Read Internships and Service Learning for specific information about earning credit for internships.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an IES Abroad application by the program's deadline
2 years or the equivalent of college-level French
Housing:Homestays (12 meals/week)
Fall 2015: $29,425
Billed by Northwestern: $18,545
- Tuition: $15,985
- SAAF: $2,560
Estimated additional costs: $10,880
- Housing & insurance: $4,810
- Additional meals: $1,810
- Airfare: $1,350
- Local transportation: $350
- Books & supplies: $220
- Personal expenses: $2,100
- Visa & fees: $240
Financial Aid & Scholarships