Montpellier Integrated Studies Program
Sponsor: University of Minnesota (UMN)
Location: Montpellier, France
Students on the Montpellier Integrated Studies track combine a variety of special courses with American and international students at the Institute for Foreign Students with regular courses with French students at the University of Montpellier's Paul Valéry (liberal arts) campus. Homestay living integrates students into everyday French culture while the program's supplemental excursions introduce students to the uniqueness of southern France. Students enrolled for Fall Quarter or the Full Year participate in a 3-week credit-bearing pre-session before regular classes begin. Internship placements are also available in a variety of fields.
In addition, UMN offers an optional, 1-credit, online Global Identity course, which focuses on helping you to process your international experiences and apply what you've learned upon your return to the U.S. As outlined in the "Requirements" section below, NU students can enroll in this course but it must be in addition to the required 15 semester credits.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
- All students are required to enroll in the Integrated Studies track of this program (for advanced French students).
- NU does not accept credit in transfer for courses worth 1-semester credit (for example: UMN's Online Global Identity course). If you enroll in a 1-semester credit course, it must be in addition to the required 15 semester credits.
- Read Internships and Service Learning for specific information about earning credit at Northwestern for internships.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an UMN application by the program's deadline
2 years or the equivalent of college-level French
Students choose from the following UMN-arranged housing options:
- homestay with a local French family,
- traditional French apartment,
- the Observatoire student residence, or
Fall 2015: $25,335
Billed by Northwestern: $20,660
- Tuition: $13,332
- Housing & insurance: $4,768
- SAAF: $2,560
Estimated additional costs: $5,302
- Additional meals: $1,500
- Airfare: $1,700
- Books & supplies: $250
- Personal expenses: $1,500
- Visa: $200
- HTH: $152
Financial Aid & Scholarships