Junior Year in Spain
Sponsor: Sweet Briar College
Location: Seville, Spain
The Sweet Briar College Junior Year in Spain program gives students the opportunity to improve their Spanish language skills through program seminars, while continuing to fulfill course requirements toward their field of study by taking courses at the University of Seville. Students are able to participate in numerous local activities and benefit from the experience of living with a host family. Classes are taught in Spanish.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
- The following Cursos Concertados: Cultura de la Gastronomía en España and El Vino en España: Historia, Cultura y Economía are not transferable to Northwestern
- Review information regarding transferable courses to NU
Students in the Advanced Program:
- We highly recommend that you take at least one to two “regular” University of Seville courses per semester (classes that Spanish students take at the University, but that are also open to foreign students with a strong level of Spanish.)
Credit transfer for Spanish majors and minors:
- Spanish majors and minors must discuss their study abroad plans with a departmental adviser.
- The Department of Spanish and Portuguese will accept petitions for credit for Cursos Concertados, JYS Seminars, and the Orientation Course. See the department's website for more information on its policies.
- Fall Semester-only students: Northwestern's Department of Spanish and Portuguese will not grant major or minor credit for “regular” courses taught at the University of Seville during the fall semester option. When choosing your "regular" university course there, choose a course that is of interest to you and for which you will be able to obtain general credit upon return, not Spanish major or minor credit. You also may petition for credit for these courses from other departments on campus (e.g., history, political science, etc.).
- Read Credit Enrollment requirements for information about maintaining a full-time course load while abroad.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete a JYS application by the program's deadline
- High Intermediate program: 2 years (completion of Spanish 121-3 or 125) or the equivalent of college-level Spanish.
- Advanced program: 2.5 years (completion of Spanish 199) or the equivalent of college-level Spanish.
Housing:Homestays (meals included)
Fall 2016: $24,140
Billed by Northwestern: $19,520
- Tuition: $12,500
- Room & board: $4,400
- SAAF: $2,620
Estimated additional costs: $4,620
- Airfare: $1,250
- Books & supplies: $250
- Personal expenses: $2,800
- Visa: $170
- HTH: $150
Financial Aid & Scholarships