Junior Year in France
Sponsor: Sweet Briar College
Location: Paris, France
Description:This program is focused on "true immersion" for students – many of whom are majoring or minoring in French – offering courses through the program as well as integrating them into regular university courses with French students, housing in homestays, and opportunities both in and out of the classroom for cultural immersion. The program begins with a two-week academic pre-session in Tours (Fall Quarter and Full Year) or Paris (Winter/Spring Quarters) to prepare students for life in France and academic work in French universities.
- Full Year
- Students must be of Junior or Senior standing at the start of the program.
- Students must enroll in at least 5 units of credit per semester. For Fall/Full Year students, Sweet Briar awards 1 unit of credit for the Sweet Briar Orientation course, for which Northwestern will grant general credit. Winter/Spring students do NOT earn credit for the Sweet Briar Orientation course and must ensure that they enroll in at least 5 units of credit (typically 5 courses) on the program.
- Students are required to take at least 2 “regular” University courses taught in French for local university students
- Students are required to live in homestays with French families (arranged by Sweet Briar College).
- Read Internships and Service Learning for specific information about earning credit at NU for internships, which are offered during Winter/Spring Quarters on the program.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete a Sweet Briar application by the program's deadline
- 2 years or the equivalent of college-level French, with recommendation of completing at least one 200-level French course at NU before beginning the program
- Students must have at least a B average overall and in French
Fall 2014: $29,945
Billed by Northwestern: $23,900
- Tuition: $11,750
- Room & partial board: $7,925
- Airfare (group flight): $1,400
- Sweet Briar insurance: $325
- SAAF: $2,500
Estimated additional costs: $6,045
- Additional meals: $2,400
- Local transportation: $500
- Books & supplies: $350
- Personal expenses: $2,400
- Visa: $250
- HTH: $145