French Field Studies Program
Sponsor: Northwestern University Office of International Program Development (IPD), in collaboration with Internships in Francophone Europe (IFE) & Sciences Po
Location: Paris, France
The French Field Study Program is a full-year program consisting of:
1) Fall Quarter on the Paris Field Studies & Internship program, administered by Internships in Francophone Europe (IFE). The program offers an intensive internship/academic experience with individualized placement for work and research in a variety of fields including economics, political science, development studies, international relations, education, social policy, visual arts, theatre, and more.
2) Winter/Spring Quarters enroll directly in courses at Sciences Po, an elite, world-renowned institution that specializes in political science and also excels in history, economics, and international relations.
A number of special on-site arrangements, including personalized academic advising and an orientation session by the on-site staf at IFE, strengthen the connections between the Fall Quarter at IFE and Winter/Spring Quarters at Sciences Po, thereby creating one cohesive academic year program.
Program Type: Northwestern-Sponsored
- Full Year
- Read Internships and Service Learning for specific information about earning credit for internships.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an IFE application by the program's deadline
- Students must meet with Professor Margaret Dempster in the Department of French in order to assess their language skills prior to application. In addition, students must meet with Professor Michael Loriaux, academic adviser for the Sciences Po exchange program.
- 2 years or the equivalent of college-level French
- The Northwestern Department of French and Italian recommends that students take at least two to three 200-level French courses at Northwestern before beginning the program.
- Foyers or family stays
- Meals may or may not be included in IFE housing options
- Read through IFE's Housing Overview for more details about housing and meals
Program Costs:Please refer to the IPD program page for cost information.