Freiburg: Language & Area Studies
Sponsor: IES Abroad
Location: Freiburg, Germany
At the foot of the Black Forest with close proximity to the French and Swiss borders, Freiburg is the quintessential southern German town and is also home to Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, consistently rated one of the top universities in Germany. The program offers rigorous undergraduate study in disciplines such as German Language and Literature, Communications, Economics, History, Humanities, International Relations, Science, and Social Sciences. Credit-bearing internships in a variety of fields are also available.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
Term Notes: The German Department and the Study Abroad Office strongly encourage students to study abroad in Germany for the full year. If the full year is not possible, students, they are encouraged to study abroad during the Winter/Spring Quarters as they are better prepared in terms of language and can enroll in regular University courses.
- Full Year students must take at least one “regular” University course taught in German for local university students during the Fall Quarter and two regular courses during the Winter/Spring Quarters.
- Students on the program for only Winter/Spring Quarters must take one “regular” University course taught in German for local university students.
- Read Internships and Service Learning for specific information about earning credit for internships.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an IES Abroad application by the program's deadline
Language Requirements:2 years or the equivalent of college-level German
Housing:Self-catered residence hall with other German and international students
Fall 2015: $28,445
Billed by Northwestern: $18,460
- Tuition: $15,900
- SAAF: $2,560
Estimated additional costs: $9,985
- Housing & insurance: $4,090
- Meals: $2,200
- Airfare & airport transit: $1,300
- Local transportation: $210
- Books & supplies: $100
- Personal expenses: $2,000
- Residence permit: $85
Financial Aid & Scholarships