Freiburg: Language & Area Studies
Sponsor: IES Abroad
Location: Freiburg, Germany
Description:Now a modern, cosmopolitan city, Freiburg is also a beautiful university and medieval cathedral town with a rich educational heritage within close proximity to the French and Swiss borders, the Black Forest, and the Alps. Organized in cooperation with the distinguished Albert-Ludwigs-Universität, the program offers rigorous undergraduate study in disciplines such as German Language and Literature, Communications, Economics, History, Humanities, International Relations, Science, and Social Sciences.
- Full Year
- Full Year students must take at least one “regular” University course taught in German for local university students during the Fall Quarter and two regular courses during the Winter/Spring Quarters.
- Students on the program for only Winter/Spring Quarters must take one “regular” University course taught in German for local university students.
- Read Internships and Service Learning for specific information about earning credit for internships.
The German Department and the Study Abroad Office strongly encourage students to study abroad in Germany for the full year. If the full year is not possible, students, they are encouraged to study abroad during the Winter/Spring Quarters as they are better prepared in terms of language and can enroll in regular University courses.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an IES Abroad application by the program's deadline
Language Requirements:2 years or the equivalent of college-level German
Housing:Self-catered residence hall with other German and international students
Fall 2013: $27,510
Billed by Northwestern: $17,210
- Tuition: $14,770
- SAAF: $2,440
Estimated additional costs: $10,300
- Housing: $3,700
- Meals: $2,650
- Airfare: $1,150
- Local transportation: $325
- Books & supplies: $210
- Personal expenses: $1,775
- Residence permit: $150
- IES insurance: $200
- HTH: $140