Danish Institute for Study Abroad
Sponsor: Danish Institute for Study Abroad (DIS)
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Description:On this program, students choose an academic focus, consisting of a required core course and integrated study tours. Students take a required Danish language and culture class, as well as elective courses from a wide variety of disciplines. Small class sizes, expert faculty, research opportunities, and field studies create an intense, experiential learning environment.
- Full Year
Northwestern students are required to enroll in at least 15 credits per semester, even though DIS only requires 12 credits.
Note: DIS offers 1-credit courses, but they are not eligible for credit transfer to Northwestern. Any 1-credit courses taken must be in addition to the required 15 credits per semester.
1. Participate in an interview with the Study Abroad Adviser for Denmark. Please call 847-467-6400 to schedule.
2. Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline. Please note that there is a priority deadline for DIS fal/full year applicants.
Languages: English, Danish
Language Requirements:None; however, students must take a Danish language course during the program.
Students may choose one of the following housing options:
- Danish host family
- Kollegium (International/Danish student residence hall)
- Folkehøjskole (similar to a small American boarding school, but with international and Danish students)
- DIS Residential Community
- An apartment with a Danish roommate
Program Costs:Estimated costs, Fall 2012
(See the program site for the most updated cost information.)