Consortium for Advanced Studies in Barcelona
Sponsor: Northwestern University, Brown University, University of Chicago, Stanford University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Harvard University, & Princeton University
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Description:The Consortium for Advanced Studies in Barcelona offers a full-immersion program, where students can take courses at four Barcelona institutions, each with its own academic specialties. This program is designed for students in all disciplines with advanced Spanish skills.
- Full Year
- Interview in Spanish with Professor Elisa Marti-Lopez from NU's Spanish department. Call the Study Abroad Office to schedule: 847-467-6400.
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline.
- Single Semester students: Must enroll in 5-6 courses, including 1 ProSeminar, 1 CASB Center course, and 3-4 regular university courses at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Universitat de Barcelona, Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona and/or the Universitat Politécnica de Catalunya. Fall Semester students must take a total of 27-30 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credits; Spring Semester students must take a total of 30 ECTS credits.
- Full Year students: Must enroll in 9 - 10 total courses, including 1 ProSeminar, 2 Center courses, and 6 - 7 regular university courses at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona, Universitat Politécnica de Catalunya and/or Universitat de Barcelona. Must enroll in 27-30 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credits each term.
- Each local university course must be worth a minimum of 4 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credits.
- Students cannot take any courses taught in English at the local universities.
- Students cannot take any courses from the Hispanic and European Studies Program (HESP) at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
Credit transfer for Spanish majors and minors:
- Fall Semester-only students: Northwestern's Department of Spanish and Portuguese will grant major and minor credit for courses taught at the Universitat de Barcelona or Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona only if you complete all coursework (classes & syllabus) by the end of December. Depending on the course, final exams may be completed before students leave in December or may be submitted electronically in a timely manner when students are back at NU in January.
Languages: Spanish, Catalan
- Completion of Spanish 201 or any other language, literature, or culture course above 201 at Northwestern
- Or a score of 5 on the advanced placement exam in Spanish language and completion of one 200-level course at Northwestern
Housing:Single rooms at Melon District Marina, the city’s largest international student residential facility
Fall 2014: $25,669
Billed by Northwestern: $19,033
- Tuition: $11,356
- Housing: $5,177
- SAAF: $2,500
Estimated additional costs: $6,636
- Meals: $2,142
- Airfare: $1,400
- Local transportation: $300
- Books & supplies: $100
- Personal expenses: $2,380
- Visa: $160
- HTH: $154
Read the CASB Refund Policy to determine if/when confirmed students are eligible for refunds after withdrawing from the program.