Conservatorium van Amsterdam
Sponsor: IES Abroad
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Northwestern Music majors have the opportunity to directly enroll at the largest and most diverse conservatory in the Netherlands, with access to instruction in classical and jazz music performance, theory, and composition. Conservatorium van Amsterdam applicants should be strong Performance, Composition, or Theory majors with the motivation and intention to become professional musicians, music scholars, or composers. With students attending CvA from all over the world, the vast majority of courses at the CvA are taught in English.
The CvA’s facility, which includes recital halls, classrooms, and practice rooms, is located in the center of Amsterdam, across the street from the Muziekgebouw, the purpose-built home of contemporary music and jazz in Amsterdam.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
- Affiliated for Music majors only.
- Junior or Senior standing when the program begins.
- Read Credit Enrollment requirements for information about maintaining a full-time course load while abroad.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an IES Abroad application by the program's deadline (IES forwards application materials to the Conservatorium, who makes the final admissions decision).
Languages: English, Dutch
Language Requirements:None; however, students are required to enroll in a Dutch language and culture course on the program.
Housing:Self-catered apartments with other IES Abroad and/or international students.
Fall 2016: $29,985
Billed by Northwestern: $17,590
- Tuition: $14,970
- SAAF: $2,620
Estimated additional costs: $12,395
- Housing & insurance: $4,530
- Meals: $3,500
- Airfare: $1,325
- Local transportation: $300
- Books & supplies: $200
- Personal expenses: $2,200
- Residence permit: $340
Financial Aid & Scholarships