Bologna Consortial Studies Program (BCSP)
Sponsor: Indiana University
Location: Bologna, Italy
Bologna, an elegant city with a population of almost half a million, is the capital of the wealthy and progressive region of Emilia-Romagna in northern Italy. Located within the old city is the University of Bologna, Europe's oldest institution of higher learning and Italy's top-ranked university.
The intensive academic nature of this program, combined with a program structure that encourages independence, makes it ideal for self-sufficient students who are looking to be immersed into Italian student life and culture as much as possible. The program begins with a month-long intensive language pre-session to help prepare for courses at the University (Fall/Full-Year students only). Students combine Italian-taught language and elective courses taught at the BCSP Center, just for program students, with regular University of Bologna courses. During the orientation period, students stay in a local hotel while they locate their own apartment housing. To learn more about the apartment search process, visit the Housing section of the BCSP website.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
- Junior or Senior year standing at the start of the program
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete a Northwestern Application by January 15th (Fall/Full Year applicants) or June 1st (Winter/Spring applicants).
- Interview in Italian with Professor Tom Simpson from the Department of French and Italian before the Northwestern Application deadline.
- Interview with Francesca Miroballi, Adviser for BCSP in the Study Abroad Office, before the Northwestern Application deadline. **Please indicate "BCSP Interview" when scheduling your appointment in the online system**
- At least a B average overall and in all Italian courses
- Junior standing at program start
- Fall/Full Year applicants: at least 2 years or the equivalent of college-level Italian
- Winter+Spring applicants: must have 2.5 years or the equivalent of college-level Italian
- Given the independent nature of this program, students should have completed at least one or two 200-level Italian courses at Northwestern prior to the start of the program.
Housing:BCSP students find and rent their own housing in apartments in the city center. All students are strongly advised to share apartments with Italians.
Fall 2016: $29,120
Billed by Northwestern: $18,055
- Tuition: $15,435
- Study Abroad Fee: $2,620
Estimated additional costs: $11,065
- Housing: $4,250
- Meals: $2,500
- Airfare: $1,125
- Local transportation: $110
- Books & supplies: $200
- Personal expenses: $2,500
- Visa & fees: $380
Financial Aid & Scholarships