Sponsor: IES Abroad
Location: Arles, France
Description:Administered by IES Abroad and originally developed by Northwestern's Department of French, the Arles Summer program links French-taught coursework to field study and cultural excursions throughout Provence. In a city famous for its Roman theatre and arena, and its association with van Gogh, Gauguin, Cézanne, and Picasso, students attend cultural lunches with faculty and staff in local restaurants. Mandatory homestays facilitate cultural integration and enhance linguistic skills.
Term Notes: Mid-June to late July
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Interview with the Study Abroad Adviser for France. Please call 847-467-6400 to schedule.
- Complete an NU Summer Study Abroad Application by March 1.
- Complete an IES Abroad application by April 1st.
Language Requirements:2 years or the equivalent of college-level French
Summer 2014: $8,460
Charges billed by Northwestern:
- Tuition: $5,845
- SAAF: $850
Charges billed by IES Abroad:
- Housing & partial board: $1,645
- IES insurance: $120
Students should plan to budget an additional $2,500-$3,100 for HTH health insurance, round-trip airfare, local transportation, meals, and personal expenses. See the IES Abroad Arles website for the most current information on program costs.
- Northwestern students receiving financial aid during the academic year may be eligible for summer aid for this program. If awarded, summer assistance may count as one of your 12 quarters of aid eligibility. Visit the Summer Scholarships page for additional information.
- Students are encouraged to apply for outside scholarships to help with the cost of summer study abroad.