Sponsor: IES Abroad
Location: Arles, France
Administered by IES Abroad and originally developed by Northwestern's Department of French, the Arles Summer program is a 6-week, 2 credit program providing immersive French language study while experiencing local life in the south of France. Famous for its Roman theatre and arena as well as its association with Vincent van Gogh, Arles is host to many dance, music, photography, theater, and folklore festivals throughout the summer, making it a lively, unique location for summer study in France. Homestays are generally the highlight of the program and weekly language-intensive lunches allow students to practice their French with IES Abroad staff and professors while sampling the local cuisine.
The program begins with a two-day orientation in the Camargue region just outside of Arles, with students staying at a local hotel and includes an afternoon field trip to the Alpilles—a small mountain range in southern France. After orientation, students move into their homestay for the remainder of the program. IES Abroad classes take place Monday through Thursday, and most Fridays are reserved for course-related excursions organized by IES Abroad to Avignon, le Pont du Gard, and les Baux de Provence.
Program Type: Northwestern Summer
Term Notes: June 16 - July 28, 2016
- All courses and coursework are conducted in French.
- Students enroll in their choice of 2 French-taught courses and earn 2 credits at NU. Available disciplines include: History of Theatre, Sociology, History of Photography and French language.
- For course listings and syllabi, visit IES Abroad's website and choose the "Academics" tab.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Interview with Francesca Miroballi, Adviser for Arles in the Study Abroad Office, before the NU Summer Application deadline. **Please indicate "Arles Interview" when scheduling your appointment in the online system**
- Complete an NU Summer Study Abroad Application by March 1st.
- Complete an IES Abroad application by April 15th.
- 2 years or the equivalent of college-level French
- Enrolled in a French course within the year prior to the program start date
- Homestay with local French families.
Meals: Host families provide breakfast daily and dinner three times a week. Additionally, each week IES Abroad provides three lunches as part of language-intensive lunches with program staff and faculty.
Charges billed by Northwestern: $6,850
- Tuition: $5,950
- SAAF: $900
Charges billed by IES Abroad: $1,810
- Housing & partial board: $1,680
- Health insurance: $130
Students should plan to budget an additional $2,500-$3,100 for round-trip airfare, local transportation, meals, and personal expenses. See the IES Abroad Arles website for the most current information on program costs.
- Northwestern students receiving financial aid during the academic year may be eligible for summer aid for this program. If awarded, summer assistance may count as one of your 12 quarters of aid eligibility. Visit the Summer Scholarships page for additional information.
- Students are encouraged to apply for outside scholarships to help with the cost of summer study abroad.