School in Latin America: Brazil
Sponsor: C.V. Starr-Middlebury Schools Abroad
Location: Florianópolis, Brazil; Belo Horizonte, Brazil; Niterói, Brazil
Students enroll directly in the Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina in Florianópolis, Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Minas Gerais in Belo Horizonte, or the Universidade Federal Fluminense in Niterói, for complete immersion in the language and culture. Highlights of the program are courses taught in Portuguese, internship opportunities in many fields, and housing with local families.
- Full Year
- Portuguese majors or minors must discuss their study abroad plans with a departmental adviser.
- Read Internships and Service Learning for important information about earning credit for internships.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete an NU Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete a C.V. Starr - Middlebury application by the program's deadline
Completion of 2nd year Portuguese with a B average and a recent course in the language. This translates into completion of:
- PORT 121-3
- PORT 115-2 plus either 201, 202 or 303
Fall 2013: $23,770
Billed by Northwestern: $13,670
- Tuition: $11,230
- SAAF: $2,440
Estimated additional costs: $10,100
- Room & board: $5,000
- Airfare: $1,700
- Books & supplies: $150
- Personal expenses: $3,000
- Visa: $250