Quito: Area Studies & Language
Sponsor: IES Abroad
Location: Quito, Ecuador
Students take two mandatory courses designed for study abroad students and choose from elective courses offered at the Facultad Latinoamerica de Ciencias Sociales, Pontifica Universidad Catolica de Ecuador, and/or IES area studies courses. Internship and service learning placements are available. Courses are taught in Spanish.
Program Type: Affiliated
- Full Year
Term Notes: This program follows the Ecuadorian academic calendar: Fall Quarter begins in early August and ends in mid-December. Winter/Spring Quarters begin in mid-January and end in late May.
- Spanish majors and minors must discuss their study abroad plans with a departmental adviser.
To apply, Northwestern students must:
- Complete a Northwestern Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline
- Complete an IES application by the program's deadline
Language Requirements:2 years (completion of 121-3 or 125) or the equivalent of college-level Spanish.
Housing:Homestays (21 meals/week)
Fall 2016: $24,125
Billed by Northwestern: $16,415
- Tuition: $13,795
- Study Abroad Fee: $2,620
Estimated additional costs: $7,710
- Room/board & insurance: $3,700
- Airfare: $1,050
- Local transportation: $400
- Books & supplies: $300
- Personal expenses: $1,800
- Visa & registration: $460
Financial Aid & Scholarships