Prepare to Leave Campus
As you prepare to leave campus, don't forget to make arrangements for your departure from Northwestern:
Leaving campus for Study Abroad is considered a legitimate reason to cancel your housing contract. You must complete a Request for Cancellation of Room Contract (a paper form, printed on blue paper), which is available in the Undergraduate Housing Office, Monday through Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm. If you stop by after business hours, you can pick up the form just outside Vina Bondurant's office, fill it out, and then put it in her inbox.
University Housing oversees assignments in Sigma Alpha Iota and Phi Mu Alpha, which are subject to the steps outlined above. For all other Greek Units, contact your fraternity or sorority directly.
If you will be away for a summer, a quarter, or longer and would like to sublet your apartment, try some of the following to advertise your space:
- Post a free sublet ad or "roommates needed" profile with the assistance of Northwestern's Off-Campus Life office
- Post your apartment on Study Abroad’s Student Bulletin Board using the Sublet Submission Form
- Check or post listings in the Daily Northwestern
- Classified listings in the Evanston Review
Your study abroad program will provide you with suggestions for what to pack for your travels.
You may need to store items that you choose not to pack. Storage options include:
- Storage in your apartment:
If you are keeping or subletting your apartment, storage in your apartment building may be available. Check with your landlord or property manager.
- Self-storage units:
Students have used these vendors in the past: