Northwestern UAAC’s Rec-File Office - Recommender Resource Page
- Be presented on official letterhead.
- Include a current date.
- Include a handwritten signature.
- Be addressed as follows: “Dear Admissions Committee,” “To Whom It May Concern,” “Dear Colleagues,” etc. Please do not use “University Academic Advising Center” or any individual’s name in the salutation.
- Always include your name, title, and contact information (if not present in the letterhead).
- Not mention a particular school or program (because applicants usually apply to multiple schools).
Don't forget to include your completed Evaluation Form.
- Submit a digital copy of the letter as an email attachment to email@example.com. A digital copy is preferred. If you are providing a digital copy, a hard copy is not necessary.
- OR: Submit a hard copy of the letter through campus mail to the University Academic Advising Center (applies to Northwestern University faculty and staff only).
- OR: Submit a hard copy of the letter through postal mail, addressed to:
Northwestern University Academic Advising Center
Recommendation File Services
1940 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-4042
- OR: Submit the letter via fax to 847-467-5746.
What should I do if I don’t have access to official letterhead?
If you do not have access to official letterhead, it is acceptable to include your name, title, and full contact information (address/email/phone/fax) at the top of the letter. In the body of your letter, be sure to briefly explain the reason for the absence of letterhead.
What is the deadline for submitting the letter?
There is no hard deadline for submitting your letter of recommendation to our office. Please contact the student directly if you would like a specific timeline for when they will be submitting their application materials. Please know that delaying the submission of a letter of recommendation may affect a student’s application unfavorably. Many medical and dental schools will not review an application until all components, including letters of recommendation, have been received.
I would like more information about the student I am writing a letter for. How do I request this information?
If you believe you need any additional information that may have not been included in the packet of information sent to you, such as a personal statement, resume or unofficial transcript, please contact the student directly.