Process for Sending the Letter Packet
The process varies depending on applicant type:
1. Complete Release of Recommendation Letter Packet to Schools.
2. Your letter packet, which includes all letters in your file, are sent via Virtual Evals, an electronic web-based system. The packet is uploaded to a server and then downloaded by AMCAS (if the school participates in their letters system) or the school directly, if it does not participate in AMCAS. All MD and DO programs used Virtual Evals in 2010 EXCEPT the following:
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
- University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine
- Universidad Central Del Caribe
- Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (Employs a school-specific form that evaluators must complete)
3. Letter packets for schools that do not accept Virtual Evals are sent to each school directly via regular postal mail
For foreign medical programs:
- The letter packet can be sent to any program. If sent via airmail letter post, mailing is free. If sent via FedEx, the student is responsible for the cost.
- The student must provide the complete mailing address information.
- At most schools, the MD office downloads all letters. If an applicant is applying to MD/PhD programs, the MD admissions office provides a copy of the letters to the MD/PhD admission committee.
- Some MD-PhD programs have access to VirtualEvals separately from their MD program. If a specific MD-PhD program requires that letters be mailed directly, please provide a complete mailing address within the Release of Letters form.
- Because some MD-PhD programs have elected to access letters directly from VirtualEvals, if you are applying to MD-PhD programs please let us know the specific programs to which you are applying to make sure they can access your letters.
- The letter packet can be sent electronically to AADSAS provided the student includes the name and e-mail address of Northwestern's Recommendation File Services Coordinator (Peter Pappas; firstname.lastname@example.org) in the AADSAS application.
- Note: Students should not list the names and e-mail addresses of their individual recommenders.
- The letter packet is sent via regular postal mail to all programs.