Medical Colleges Admissions Test (MCAT)
Jump to a topic:
The MCAT is a computer-based exam and consists of 4 sections:
- Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems,
- Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems,
- Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior
- Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills
The new MCAT 2015 exam will be offered on 14 dates from April through September of 2015. There will be no test dates in October, November, or December. The 2016 testing year will begin in January 2016 (specific test dates for 2016 will be released in October 2015 on the AAMC/MCAT website).
The MCAT 2015 will also utilize a new scoring system. Learn more about how the MCAT 2015 exam will be scored.
The AAMC MCAT site provides comprehensive information about the MCAT.
NU pre-med students should take their MCAT after completion of their premed required courses, usually in the spring of their junior year or the summer after their sophomore year.
We're happy to meet with students to discuss the best time for them to take the MCAT!
The MCAT 2015 NU Course Mapping Tool will give you an idea of which NU courses teach the concepts tested in the MCAT. Please note: this information is subject to change!
The MCAT web site also provides the following preparation materials:
- What's on the MCAT Exam?
- MCAT FAQs
- MCAT Sample Test
- Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (including online practice questions)
- Pre-health Collection within MedEdPORTAL's iCollaborative
- Khan Academy MCAT Collection
- Registration for the April and May dates of the 2015 MCAT begins on February 11th, 2015. Registration for June and July dates will open in April. Plan to register early; there are a limited number of seats per testing site.
- Prior to registering for the exam, you should read the MCAT 2015 Essentials (not yet available).
The AAMC Fee Assistance Program (FAP) assists MCAT® examinees and AMCAS applicants who, without financial assistance, would be unable to take the MCAT or apply to medical schools that use the AMCAS application.