Jump to the type of opportunity you seek:
- **This program has been temporarily suspended for the 2013/14 academic year**
NU Physician Shadowing Program: The physician-shadowing program is open to NU undergraduates with an interest in a career in medicine. For more information contact email@example.com
Northwestern Externship (NEXT) Program: NEXT is a one-day job-shadowing program sponsored by the Northwestern Alumni Association and University Career Services which connects students with an NU alum to offer an insider's view of the daily activities of a given profession.
NU-Feinberg Connections: Matches NU premed undergraduates with a Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine medical student. To participate, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Northwestern Community Development Corps (NCDC) is a student-run organization which seeks to engage students in community development at Northwestern, in Evanston, and throughout Chicago by promoting volunteer work at local sites including Mather Pavilion, Community Health, the Heartland Alliance, and La Rabida Children's Hospital.
- Volunteer Match provides access to a wide variety of location-specific volunteer opportunities.
- The Cradle (Evanston) is a non-sectarian adoption agency with an on-site nursery.
- Horizon Hospice (Chicago) and Rainbow Hospice (Chicago & Suburbs) deliver comprehensive care to terminally ill patients and their families throughout the Chicago area, primarily in their homes or residential facilities.
- La Clinica is a health care establishment in Hispanic communities in Metro Chicago.
- New Life Volunteering Society provides basic preventative care, health care and health education to uninsured and underserved patients and the community, and offers learning opportunities for students in the clinical setting.
- NU Sports Medicine Aide Program assists NU students in their education as future medical professionals by exposing them to the qualities of the sports medicine profession.
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago provides inpatient, day rehabilitation and outpatient patient service in physical medicine and rehabilitation.
Local Hospitals and Clinics:
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- American Cancer Society
- Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
- Community Health
- Erie Family Health Center
- Lawndale Christian Health Center
- Marjorie Kovler Center
- Mather Pavillion
- North Chicago VA Hospital
- Northshore University HealthSystem (formerly Evanston Hospital and Rush North Shore Medical Center)
- St. Francis Hospital
Always check to see when summer programs begin; some may begin before the NU spring quarter ends. Some programs may be flexible with start date/times.
- Northwestern's Engage Chicago program, special concentration in Health and Medicine: This 8-week summer program consists of a series of weekly seminars and field experiences that help students explore contemporary issues and prospective careers in medicine, public health, health policy, and other related fields.
- AAMC - Summer Enrichment Programs: Search engine through the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) where students can search programs by state, focus (i.e. research, MCAT prep.), length of time, and institution.
- College of Medicine at University of Cincinnati: Two 10 day intensive programs (Summer Surgery Experience and the Summer Neuroscience Experience) designed to help college students to learn more about Surgery or Neuroscience/Psychiatry/Neurosurgery through lectures, observation, and hands-on experiences.
- Internship and Early Admission Program for Ohio Students: The R.O.S.E. (Research, Observation, Service, Education) Program offers an early admission opportunity for Ohio residents interested in attending the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine.
- Health Career Connection (HCC) Summer Internship: Summer internship program for undergraduate students interested in healthcare careers. HCC has a strong focus on minority students, aiming to increase the ethnic diversity of healthcare business leaders.
- UCLA Premedical/Predental Enrichment Program (UCLA PREP): Seven week intensive summer program aimed at providing premedical and predental students from disadvantaged backgrounds with a means of strengthening their ability and readiness to study medicine or dentistry.
- Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP): Free six week summer academic enrichment program for freshman and sophomore college students from economically/ educationally disadvantaged backgrounds who are interested in a career in medicine or dentistry.
- University of Chicago Summer Programs: Chicago Academic Medicine (CAMP): 6-week summer program for undergraduate premed students who have completed their freshman or sophomore year in college, or who are graduating from high school in spring of 2012 and have been accepted into college. Designed to help multicultural and disadvantaged students build the knowledge base and academic skills necessary for success in a premedical program.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine's Summer Premedical Academic Enrichment Program (SPAEP): Seven to eight week program designed specifically to prepare and support students who wish to pursue careers in the field of medicine.
Funding and Internship-related Information
- University Career Services (UCS) Internship Initiative: Northwestern's University Career Services holds an annual Internship Initiative to provide students with an opportunity to network with employers and learn key information for their internship search.
- Summer Internship Grant Program (SIGP): A $2000 grant award for students completing unpaid internships during the summer. Students are selected based on application.