Click to jump to:
- Summer Clinical Experience/Shadowing Programs
- Summer Research Programs
- Internship and Funding-related Information
Check out individual programs for application deadlines and start dates; some may begin before the NU spring quarter ends. Some programs may be flexible with start date/times -- it's best to speak with programs directly if you have questions about start/end date flexibility.
- Northwestern's Engage Chicago program, special concentration in Health and Medicine: This 8-week summer program consists of a series of weekly seminars and field experiences that help students explore contemporary issues and prospective careers in medicine, public health, health policy, and other related fields.
- AAMC - Summer Enrichment Programs: Search engine through the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) where students can search programs by state, focus (i.e. research, MCAT prep.), length of time, and institution.
- College of Medicine at University of Cincinnati: Two 10 day intensive programs (Summer Surgery Experience and the Summer Neuroscience Experience) designed to help college students to learn more about Surgery or Neuroscience/Psychiatry/Neurosurgery through lectures, observation, and hands-on experiences.
- Internship and Early Admission Program for Ohio Students: The R.O.S.E. (Research, Observation, Service, Education) Program offers an early admission opportunity for Ohio residents interested in attending the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine.
- Health Career Connection (HCC) Summer Internship: Summer internship program for undergraduate students interested in healthcare careers. HCC has a strong focus on minority students, aiming to increase the ethnic diversity of healthcare business leaders.
- UCLA Premedical/Predental Enrichment Program (UCLA PREP): Seven week intensive summer program aimed at providing premedical and predental students from disadvantaged backgrounds with a means of strengthening their ability and readiness to study medicine or dentistry.
- Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP): Free six week summer academic enrichment program for freshman and sophomore college students from economically/ educationally disadvantaged backgrounds who are interested in a career in medicine or dentistry.
- University of Chicago Summer Programs: Chicago Academic Medicine (CAMP): 6-week summer program for undergraduate premed students who have completed their freshman or sophomore year in college, or who are graduating from high school in spring of 2012 and have been accepted into college. Designed to help multicultural and disadvantaged students build the knowledge base and academic skills necessary for success in a premedical program.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine's Summer Premedical Academic Enrichment Program (SPAEP): Seven to eight week program designed specifically to prepare and support students who wish to pursue careers in the field of medicine.
Always check to see when summer programs begin; some may begin before the NU spring quarter ends. Some programs may be flexible with start date/times.
- AAMC - Summer Undergraduate Research Programs: AAMC's list of undergraduate student research opportunities hosted by universities and medical institutions throughout the United States.
- Gateways to the Laboratory Summer Program: Allows freshman and sophomore underrepresented minority and/or disadvantaged students to experience life as a MD-PhD student; sponsored by the Weill Cornell/Rockefeller/Sloan-Kettering Tri-Institutional MD-PhD Program in New York City.
- National Cancer Institute (NCI) Summer Cancer Research Fellowships: Provides an opportunity for eligible sophomore or junior college students to engage in innovative integrative biology approaches to cancer research through the NCI's Integrative Cancer Biology Program (ICBP).
- National Institute of Health (NIH) Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research: Provides an opportunity to spend the summer working side-by-side with scientists in an environment devoted exclusively to biomedical research.
- Reproductive Research Center at Cleveland Clinic Summer Internship: Summer internship opportunity for highly motivated, academically oriented medical or undergrad students interested in a career in medicine.
- Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Summer Undergraduate Research Focus (SURF): 10 week summer program at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi summer program which provides college students who have demonstrated an interest in science with the opportunity to experience research.
- University of Chicago Summer Programs: Pritzker School of Medicine Experience in Research (PSOMER): An 8-week summer research, education, and mentoring experience with University of Chicago faculty.
- Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy: Offers several summer programs for undergraduates pre-medical students interested in an 8-10 week research experience.
- Northwestern Career Advancement (NCA) Internship Initiative: Northwestern's University Career Services holds an annual Internship Initiative to provide students with an opportunity to network with employers and learn key information for their internship search.
- Summer Internship Grant Program (SIGP): A $2000 grant award for students completing unpaid internships during the summer. Students are selected based on application.