Clinical Experience & Shadowing
Before checking out the variety of opportunities listed here, be sure to read our overview on Clinical Experience & Shadowing to get a better understanding of the importance of these experiences, as well as tips and suggestions!
Jump to the type of opportunity you seek:
Northwestern Externship (NEXT) Program: NEXT is a one-day job-shadowing program sponsored by the Northwestern Alumni Association and University Career Services which connects students with an NU alum to offer an insider's view of the daily activities of a given profession.
NU-Feinberg Connections: Matches NU premed undergraduates with a Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine medical student. Subscribe to our Weekly Update for more information about this program. Typically, we begin matching students in early October. Interested in participating? Questions? E-mail email@example.com.
Below, you'll find a list of opportunities in which Northwestern students have previously participated. You are not limited to these experiences or locations, however, this is a great starting point to help you gain a broader perspective of the types of opportunities that are available to you.
- Northwestern Community Development Corps (NCDC) is a student-run organization which seeks to engage students in community development at Northwestern, in Evanston, and throughout Chicago by promoting volunteer work at local sites including Mather Pavilion, Community Health, the Heartland Alliance, and La Rabida Children's Hospital.
- Volunteer Match provides access to a wide variety of location-specific volunteer opportunities.
- The Cradle (Evanston) is a non-sectarian adoption agency with an on-site nursery.
- Horizon Hospice (Chicago) and Rainbow Hospice (Chicago & Suburbs) deliver comprehensive care to terminally ill patients and their families throughout the Chicago area, primarily in their homes or residential facilities.
- La Clinica is a health care establishment in Hispanic communities in Metro Chicago.
- New Life Volunteering Society provides basic preventative care, health care and health education to uninsured and underserved patients and the community, and offers learning opportunities for students in the clinical setting.
- NU Sports Medicine Aide Program assists NU students in their education as future medical professionals by exposing them to the qualities of the sports medicine profession.
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago provides inpatient, day rehabilitation and outpatient patient service in physical medicine and rehabilitation.
Local Hospitals and Clinics:
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- American Cancer Society
- Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
- Community Health
- Erie Family Health Center
- Lawndale Christian Health Center
- Marjorie Kovler Center
- Mather Pavillion
- North Chicago VA Hospital
- Northshore University HealthSystem (formerly Evanston Hospital and Rush North Shore Medical Center)
- St. Francis Hospital
Funding and Internship-related Information
- University Career Services (UCS) Internship Initiative: Northwestern's University Career Services holds an annual Internship Initiative to provide students with an opportunity to network with employers and learn key information for their internship search.
- Summer Internship Grant Program (SIGP): A $2000 grant award for students completing unpaid internships during the summer. Students are selected based on application.
For information about summer programs, please visit the Summer Programs section!