About the WCMS
Web Content Management Systems (WCMS) greatly improve the way that websites are created, updated and maintained. Northwestern University's Global Marketing and Communications web team maintains the Cascade CMS. This platform:
- Serves as the official tool and platform for Global Marketing and Communications to deploy client sites that are easy to maintain and update.
- Operates as a service to other university schools, departments, and centers that have skilled developers who also wish to use this tool.
Who is involved right now?
- Global Marketing and Communications
- Northwestern University Information Technology/Communications
- Northwestern Law
- Feinberg School of Medicine
- McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- The School of Education and Social Policy
- The Graduate School
- Weinberg College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Northwestern University in Qatar
- Student Affairs
- School of Professional Studies
- Web Communications' clients
There are currently over 600 sites and 2000 users in the system.
How can I be involved?
There are two ways to use the Northwestern University WCMS:
Through a site redesign/project initiation with Global Marketing and Communications
Through service-level usage (where your developers or consultants are working within the system to build your site)
How much does it cost?
Global Marketing and Communications provides central funding for Cascade licensing and support, providing the service free of charge to Northwestern units.
Here are some comments that contributors have left on our evaluation survey.
More questions? Please visit our contact page to send us a message or request a meeting.
"The system is flexible, user friendly, and takes the guesswork out of publishing. I like how easy it is to create links within pages and make edits. The more you work in the system, the easier things become."
"Great tool to work with. Great support from WebComm."
"This system is very intuitive and with just a small amount of customization to creating an effective workflow for our inter-departmental work, our contributors have grasped working within the environment very quickly."
"The workflow option is essential in establishing business process and accountability for compliancy with our Web site guidelines."
"How logical Cascade's menu / folder system is and how easy it is to edit and publish. And what great support WebComm provides; no consultant for hire could match."
"Compared to other systems that I've used, Cascade is a dream. It's very responsive, user-friendly and reliable."
"Cascade has greatly simplified the publication of our online version of the magazine. It has saved us time and money. We love it."