Make a Donation
Northwestern and United Way share a vision of a better, stronger community for everyone. Last year we surpassed our goal by contributing more than $316,000. To build on our momentum, we've increased our 2017 goal to an ambitious $350,000. Every dollar counts, and is used to provide vital services to those who need it most.
- Donor Assistance
- How to Give
- Types of Donations
- Basketball Voucher Incentive
- Donation Receipts for Tax Purposes
United Way of Metropolitan Chicago is able to assist with login information, donation website, donation history, and tax receipts.
United Way Customer Support
All donors are strongly encouraged to donate online via United Way's secure campaign donation website. Please refer to the email you received on Tuesday, October 10, 2017, from United Way for your secure personalized login information and instructions on how to donate online. This is the easiest way to donate as you can customize your donation by what works best for you. After submitting your pledge, you will receive a donation confirmation email for your records.
- Paper pledge forms have been eliminated in an effort to align with Northwestern’s commitment to sustainability; however you may download a pledge form and mail it to Human Resources.
- As you consider your pledge, please keep in mind that you may designate any charitable nonprofit organization beyond those traditionally served by United Way to receive your gift. Designations of all or portions of your gift to any IRS-recognized 501(c)3, tax-exempt nonprofit organization will be accepted. See guidestar.org for information on any such organizations.
Northwestern provides three avenues for you to make your contribution. If you have any questions prior to making your pledge, please contact email@example.com.
If you are a current employee, your contribution can be taken directly out of your paycheck post-tax. All payroll deductions will begin in January 2018. For employees who are paid bi-weekly, payroll deductions are taken out of the second paycheck of the month. There are three types of payroll deductions from which to select:
- One-Time: You elect to make one lump-sum deduction
- Monthly: You elect to have a selected amount deducted every month for 12 months
- Continuous Giving: You elect to have a selected amount deducted every month – rolls over year-to-year – until you contact Northwestern Payroll to stop/amend deductions
If you prefer to contribute by credit or debit card, you may elect that your card be billed on the date of your donation entry or you can select a billing start date of your choice. Card contributions completed by December 15, 2017, will receive a receipt by the end of the year for tax purposes. Card contributions not completed by this date will not have a receipt by year-end.
If you prefer to contribute by check, please mail it and a copy of your donation confirmation email or completed pledge form to:
Office of Human Resources
720 University Place, Room 106
Evanston, Illinois 60208
Attn: Magda Fong
Give at least $20 more than you pledged in our 2016 campaign and receive a complimentary voucher for two tickets to a Northwestern men’s basketball game, or other Olympic sports event of your choice.
Please note: The redemption of the voucher will reduce the charitable tax deduction associated with your donation by the retail value of the voucher, which could be a maximum of $44 per voucher.
United Way mails donation receipts for any single contribution of $250+ to the home address they have on file for you. If they do not have a home address on file, they can issue a receipt to your campus address if requested.
United Way does not typically generate tax receipts for payroll deduction gifts. Two items are required by the IRS to substantiate a charitable payroll deduction amount:
- a copy of your last paycheck stub of the year, which lists your deduction amount, and
- a copy of your eWay donation confirmation email or completed donor form.
In the absence of one or both of these documents, United Way can issue you a receipt, but they will need a document that lists the actual amount deducted from your paychecks in the relevant calendar year (e.g., a paycheck stub).
If you have any questions about donation receipts, please contact United eWay Help at 312.906.2204 or firstname.lastname@example.org.