Upcoming Professional Development Events
Advocacy and Public Policy in Student Affairs
- November 1, 12pm - 1:30 pm
- Northwestern Room at Norris Center
- Presenters: Julie Payne-Kirchmeier, Ph.D., CASP, Associate Vice President and Chief of Staff, and Kelly Schaefer, Assistant VP, of Student Engagement
As Student Affairs professionals, we often find ourselves at the intersection of multiple roles. Given our focus on and work with students, advocacy work is part of our reality on campus; however, have you ever wondered what this looks like at the student affairs profession and public policy levels, and how you as a professional can take part? Join Julie Payne-Kirchmeier and Kelly Schaefer as they engage attendees about advocacy and public policy in our field.
If you missed any of this quarter’s Professional Development Events please see the link below to preview “take away” items from this session:
Lead Well: Creating positive relationships to reduce harm
- November 12, 12pm - 1:30pm
- Wildcat Room | Norris Center
- Track: Self and Staff Support
- Speakers: Brittany Williams and Coretta King
Using relational leadership theory we will discuss how to create positive relationships and reduce harm in the workplace. Positive relationships are established and maintained through communication, trust and compromise. Participants will review literature and engage in reflection on experiences that reinforce these behaviors.
- recognize and apply relational leadership in daily operations
- identify examples of harm that may be caused by self or others
- name resources that can be used as support for resilience
- create support system(s) for coping
Navigating Thru Change
- November 27, 12pm-1:30pm
- Wildcat Room, Norris Center
- Track: Self, Staff, Student, and Career Support
- Speaker: Jabbar Bennett, Associate Provost
Join us for a presentation on management, leadership, organizational change, and diversity inclusion with Jabbar Bennett, Associate Provost. As the University's chief diversity officer, Dr. Bennett directs the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion, and leads and coordinates efforts to create and sustain a diverse, inclusive and welcoming environment for all Northwestern community members including students, faculty, staff and alumni.