Benefits Overview: Risk Management - Northwestern University

If, after initial treatment by the primary care facility designated by the University, the injured employee is authorized to be absent from work and/or will require additional treatment or medical care, he/she may be eligible for certain disability benefits under the Illinois Workers' Compensation and Occupational Diseases Act. This will depend on the length of authorized absence and the nature of employment with the University.

Any follow-up medical/hospital expense incurred by an employee from his/her personal physician and/or hospital facility for treatment of a work related injury must be forwarded to the Claims Division with an appropriate medical report explaining the charges before they can be processed for payment or the employee can be reimbursed by the University.

It is the responsibility of each employee to keep the University, via the Claims Division, informed of his/her current medical condition when he/she chooses to be treated by a personal physician rather than the University's designated medical facility.

Workers' Compensation benefits may be postponed, withheld or suspended should the employee: (a) fail or refuse to submit detailed medical reports or other information from his/her personal physician or hospital to the University; or (b) refuse or fail to appear for a medical examination by a physician designated by the University.

Employees who sustain on-the-job injuries or illnesses may not receive Workers' Compensation disability benefits without being first certified as disabled by a University-authorized physician.

In accordance with the Illinois Workers' Compensation and Occupational Diseases Act and applicable rules of the Illinois Industrial Commission, any employee absent from work as a result of a work related injury which has not been certified by a University-authorized physician, will be either on his/her own accumulated sick time, if available, or will be off the payroll.

Should there arise a difference of opinion between the University-authorized physician and the employee's personal physician regarding the employee's length of disability, the University, in most cases, will rely on the medical opinion of the University-authorized physician and the medical differences, if any, may be resolved before the Illinois Industrial Commission.

Any questions regarding workers' compensation claim status, payment of medical bills, modified duty, or other matters associated with this Policy should be made to the Claims Division at (847) 491-5582.