Visiting Scholars who choose to waive out of the Visiting Scholars Plan must:
- Complete a Waiver form and send to the Office of Risk Management for approval.
- Evidence and maintain health insurance coverage that meets or exceeds the level of coverage required by Northwestern by providing a copy of their insurance policy to the Office of Risk Management for approval. (If your policy is not written in English, you must provide an official translation for the insurance.)
- Dependents may waive the VSP Plan by purchasing insurance that meets Department of State J-2 insurance requirements. These policies must also be approved by the Office of Risk Management
Minimum Health Insurance Requirements
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Coverage for repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000 (does not apply to B1 visa holders)
- $50,000 for expenses associated with medical evacuation
- Deductible not to exceed $250 per accident or illness
- Co-insurance provision can be no greater than 25%
- Out-of-pocket expenses not to exceed $2,000 per year
- Pre-existing conditions must be covered (no exclusions, no waiting period)
- Mental health
- Shall not unreasonably exclude coverage for perils inherent to the activities of the program in which the exchange visitor participates
- Must include inpatient and outpatient coverage for both sickness and accident
- Will cover at least 80% of usual and customary charges in the Chicago area
- Shall provide benefits for prescription drugs, and pregnancy.
For additional information, please contact Pam Tackett, Student Health Insurance Program Manager, at 847.491.5610 or email@example.com.