About the Grants
Provost Jonathan Holloway seeks faculty proposals for novel and innovative practices that will enhance our missions of education and research through improved diversity and inclusion at Northwestern University.
Proposed projects should demonstrate how they will enhance our academic enterprise through expanded diversity, inclusion, and equity at Northwestern University including but not limited to sex, gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, disability, socioeconomic status, age, political affiliation, religion, philosophy, or sexual orientation. Examples of projects that would be within the intended scope of this call for proposals include:
- A new course that furthers diversity and inclusion awareness for undergraduate students;
- An innovative recruitment program that will attract faculty and/or students or trainees who add to the diversity of Northwestern University;
- A conference or seminar that will increase the visibility of underrepresented scholars or their work;
- A mentoring or coaching program for faculty and/or students or trainees whose background, experience, and interests contribute to the diversity of Northwestern;
- Advancement opportunities for underrepresented members of the faculty; or
- Mechanisms to disseminate best practices/course materials to a broader faculty or student audience outside of your own unit or department.
The above list of examples is not meant to be limiting. We welcome any proposals that clearly demonstrate a measurable positive impact upon the education of Northwestern's undergraduate students or upon the climate of faculty recruitment, hiring, development, and retention at Northwestern University. We welcome proposals for both new initiatives and projects that build upon or enhance existing initiatives. Funding is expected to range from $2,000 for modest proposals to $25,000 for extensive proposals that may include multiple faculty partners or extend across units or schools.
To apply, download the Application Form and submit the completed form with all required signatures to the Office of the Provost (firstname.lastname@example.org). For a sample application proposal of a previously funded grant application, please email email@example.com. Applications for the 2018-2019 grants are no longer being accepted.
Faculty of all ranks and lines, departments, or programs, are eligible to apply. This includes department chairs and program or center directors, but excludes any faculty with a decanal appointment.
All applications must include signed endorsement from the department chair and school Dean. All grantees must commit to providing a written self-evaluation of their project, including a brief budget summary, within one year of receiving the grant.
The proposals selected for funding are announced in winter quarter and funds will become available for those projects by spring quarter. Work on funded projects should commence by the next fall academic quarter.
In addition to the grants program described above, award funding is also available to celebrate exemplar individuals or groups who are working collaboratively to build a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable climate at Northwestern. For information on the nomination process, please visit Daniel I. Linzer Awards for Faculty Excellence in Diversity and Equity