President Schapiro has authored the following books - most with his longtime co-author Michael McPherson - on the topics of economics, higher education, and the accessibility of a college education.
- Cents and Sensibility: What Economics Can Learn from the Humanities, with Gary Saul Morson, Princeton University Press, 2017.
- The Fabulous Future? America and the World in 2040, with Gary Saul Morson, Editors, Northwestern University Press, 2015.
- College Success: What It Means and How to Make It Happen, with Michael S. McPherson, Editors, The College Board, New York, 2008.
- College Access: Opportunity or Privilege? with Michael S. McPherson, Editors, The College Board, New York, 2006.
- The Student Aid Game: Meeting Need and Rewarding Talent in American Higher Education, with Michael S. McPherson, Princeton University Press, 1998. [Paperback edition, 1999.]
- Paying the Piper: Productivity, Incentives, and Financing in U.S. Higher Education, with Michael S. McPherson and Gordon C. Winston, The University of Michigan Press, 1993.
- Keeping College Affordable: Government and Educational Opportunity, with Michael S. McPherson, The Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C., 1991. [Paperback edition, 1991.]
- Selective Admission and the Public Interest, with Michael S. McPherson, The College Board, New York, 1990.
- Filling Up America: An Economic‑Demographic Model of Population Growth and Distribution in the Nineteenth Century United States, Volume 8, Industrial Development and the Social Fabric Series, JAI Press, Inc., Greenwich, Connecticut, 1986.