Becoming a Fellow
Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship (MMUF) Program Applications for the Class of 2021 are due Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 11:59 P.M. CST.
Letters of Recommendation are due Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:59 P.M. CST.
Please visit the MMUF Application Portal to get started. Interested candidates must submit both the MMUF Application and Letter of Recommendation by the deadlines listed above for their application to MMUF to be considered complete.
Questions about the fellowship and application process may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions to Consider Before Applying
In order to determine whether your goals and the mission of the MMUF program are in alignment, please consider researching and discussing the following questions with faculty and graduate students:
- What are my research interests and what would make a strong MMUF project?
- Is there a faculty member that I would like to work with over the summer on a research project?
- Would the type of research I want to pursue lead to a PhD in one of the MMUF designated fields? (listed on the MMUF Overview page).
- What is graduate study like and what could I do with a PhD?
- What do faculty members do and would I want to be a faculty member?
- What is it like to be a graduate student?
- Sophomore student (or student with sophomore class standing) planning or considering graduate study toward a PhD in one of the Mellon designated fields.
- A strong interest and/or demonstrated commitment to eradicating racial disparities in higher education.
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
Application for the Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship is highly competitive. Applicants must submit a brief online application and the following supporting documents:
- Personal Statement Essays (4 essays, 250 words each, typed, double-spaced)
- Academic Record (unofficial transcript)
- Resume that includes extracurricular activities and applicable honors/awards (limit 2 pages)
- Academic Writing Sample (limit 10 pages)
- Faculty Recommendation Letter