May is Asian, Pacific Islander, and Desi American (APIDA) Heritage Month, when the Northwestern community celebrates the diverse APIDA community on campus. The Northwestern APIDA community hosts a variety of speakers, events, shows, workshops, and performances throughout the month. Those events can be found on the Northwestern APIDA Student Organization Event Calendar.
Netflix Watch Party x APIDA History Month
Join the MSA's Graduate Assistants for another round of watch parties! In honor of APIDA Heritage Month, we will be watching movies by, about, and for APIDA folks. Please express your interest in attending a watch party by filling out this form. If you need access to a Netflix account for the watch party, contact Upasna Barath at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5/1: The Half of It
- Shy, straight-A student Ellie is hired by sweet but inarticulate jock Paul, who needs help winning over a popular girl. But their new and unlikely friendship gets complicated when Ellie discovers she has feelings for the same girl. From writer/director Alice Wu.
- Trailer here.
- 5/15: Next Gen
- A friendship with a top-secret robot turns a lonely girl's life into a thrilling adventure as they take on bullies, evil bots, and a scheming madman.
- Trailer here.
- 5/30: Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King
- Fresh off his performance at the White House Correspondents' Dinner, comedian Hasan Minhaj tackles immigration, family, and equality in a stand-up special.
- Trailer here.
US: Unscripted Stories Podcast - APIDA Heritage Month Series
US: Unscripted Stories is an MSA podcast dedicated to building community and kinship through the power of storytelling and listening. For APIDA Heritage Month, we're featuring conversations between MSA Graduate Assistant Upasna Barath and APIDA students around campus.
- Your Best (Asian) American Girl
- Release date: Monday, 5/4
- For the first episode of the APIDA Heritage Month Series, Upasna talks to Chloe Wong about Mitski, representation in music, and the APIDA community on Northwestern's campus.
- Brown, Black, and Queer
- Release date: Monday, 5/11
- In the second episode of the APIDA Heritage Month Series, Upasna discusses intersectionality, queerness, and the Desi community with Ahlaam Delange.
- Release date: Monday, 5/18
- In the final episode of the APIDA Heritage Month Series, Imani Sumbi talks to Upasna about a memorable childhood story and what it's like to be mixed and a part of the APIDA community.
JubilAsian 2020: Boundless Solidarity
JubilAsian is an annual celebration hosted by Northwestern University’s Multicultural Student Affairs office as part of APIDA (Asian, Pacific Islander, and Desi American) Heritage Month, celebrated in May. JubilAsian is a celebration of the vibrancy, diversity, and resilience of the APIDA community at Northwestern and beyond. Each year, JubilAsian is planned by a dedicated committee of NU APIDA students who help shape its theme, goals, and structure.
This year, JubilAsian 2020 is a month-long celebration focusing on the theme of Boundless Solidarity. We aim to highlight, embrace, and encourage the ways in which the APIDA community has and continues to transcend our boundaries and connect: to our history and ancestors, to our identity and culture, to our families (both chosen and given) and community, and with each other. Follow us at our website and on Instagram and Facebook!