Skip to main content

University Policies & Resources

Trans* Policies

All Gender Housing

Gender Open Housing refers to an arrangement whereby students, regardless of sex, gender, or gender identity, are permitted to share a room or suite in select areas of Northwestern’s residence halls. The primary reason for such a policy is to provide housing options that take into consideration varying identities and preferences, and to ensure a safe and comfortable environment for all students. Open Housing is not intended − and in fact is highly discouraged − for romantic couples.
For more information, visit our All Gender Housing FAQ on the Residential Services site.

All Gender Restrooms

All Gender Restroom facilities are utilized to provide a safe and welcoming space for individuals who may identify as transgender or outside of the male/female gender binary. The intentionality of All Gender restrooms is to support transgender and non-binary individuals who often face difficult decisions and experiences when being forced to choose between the divided male and female restrooms.

Evanston Campus
  • University Hall: 1897 Sheridan Rd
  • Norris University Center: 1999 Campus Drive
  • The Black House: 1856 Orrington
  • Multicultural Center: 1936 Sheridan Rd
  • Lunt Hall: 2033 Sheridan Rd
  • Wirtz Center for the Performing Arts: 1949 Campus Drive
  • Kresge Hall: 1880 Campus Drive
  • Harris Hall: 1881 Sheridan Road
  • Searle Center: 627 Dartmouth Place 
  • Mudd Hall: 2233 Tech Drive

Are there more All Gender Restrooms on campus?  Please complete this form and let us know where they are at and we will add it to the list.

Here is a map of Evanston All Gender Restrooms, you may also add a restroom to that list here.

Chicago Campus
  • Health Service- Chicago: 303 E Chicago Ave, Chicago, IL 60611 

Personal Identification Change

Form to Change Identity

Name Change

(for current students, except for NU Law and School of Professional Studies students; see below)

Northwestern University policy states that a student's name in the student database must be identical to the name on their Social Security card. The Office of the Registrar will process a request for name change for students who are US citizens or permanent residents and who provide the appropriate documentation. Students who hold an F1 or J1 visa must contact the International Office to request a name change.

To file for a name change, present the following information to the Office of the Registrar:

  • Application for Change of Name (available at the Office of the Registrar)
  • Original Social Security card with new name OR copy of legal documentation confirming legal name change
  • Government issued photo identification
  • Northwestern Wildcard
Once this documentation has been presented at the Office of the Registrar, please allow a minimum of 48 hours for the change to take effect.

Gender Change (for current students)

Current students who change gender on legal documents may request their University records be changed to reflect that by filing an application for change of demographic Information and providing government-issued documentation such as a driver’s license or passport displaying the new gender.

Students who are in gender transition or no longer identify with their birth or legal gender may request their University records be changed to reflect a U or unknown gender, using the same form. No additional documentation is required for this request.

Current Students (NU Law and School of Continuing Studies only)
  • University policy states that a student's name in the student database must be identical to the name on their Social Security card. NU Law and SPS students who are US citizens or permanent residents must contact their school registrar to request a name change: Northwestern University School of Law, Registration and Records Northwestern University, School of Continuing Studies, Office of the Registrar NU
  •  Law and SCS students who hold an F1 or J1 visa must contact the International Office to request a name change.

Preferred Name

Current students (except for those in the Kellogg School of Management) can indicate a “preferred” first name, which is a name the student wishes to be commonly known as, if different from their legal first name.

A student may change their preferred first and/or middle names using CAESAR. The student's preferred name will only be seen on Class Rosters, Grade Rosters, Canvas, and the Online Directory. 

In addition, a student may indicate a preferred name for their library account. The chosen name will be used on all library communications and will appear when the student signs in to NUsearch.

Please note that the “primary” name will continue to be the student's legal name and will continue to appear on transcript, the Wildcard, and any documentation involving financial aid or student accounts. Students must continue to use their primary names when conducting official University business. In addition, indicating a preferred name will not change a student's e-mail address that appears in the NU Online Directory. It is important to know that the primary name can only be changed by visiting the Office of the Registrar and requesting a formal name change (see above).

Kellogg Students

For Kellogg students, "preferred names" can be changed through the Kellogg Student Directory:

Email and Account Change

By default, the display name associated with your email address is your official name as listed in CAESAR. This is the sender name that appears to others when you send email. If you change your name, you can change your email display name to reflect that change.

Before you can change your name on your email account, you must first submit a name change request through your school's Registrar. See the Registrar's page File a Name Change for more info. Once your submitted name change appears in the Online Directory, you can change your display name by clicking the Update Name button on the Account Management Page. The display name on your email account will change to reflect the name on file with the Registrar.

To change the name listed in your student email address (i.e. or your email display name if you have not submitted an official name change request through the Registrar, send an email to NUIT at

Former Students

The name under which you were enrolled must remain on your transcript, unless you re-enroll. Your official name at the time you left will always appear on your transcript.