All undergraduate residential facilities will be open for the duration of the Thanksgiving break (November 25-28, 2021). Dining options will be open limited hours during the Thanksgiving break. Please visit the Northwestern Dining website for more information.
Winter Break Closing
All undergraduate residential facilities close for Winter Break at 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Saturday, December 11, 2021. All students must leave the buildings by this time and complete all closing checklist items and complete the Self-Check Out Form online (bit.ly/nucheckout) before departing. All buildings reopen at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 1, 2022.
Closing Checklist Items for Students Returning in January
It is important to complete the checklist to ensure the health and safety of your room and the community. It is especially important to ensure that your window is closed and latched, the heat turned on low (not off), and your door is locked. Each student must submit a Self-Check Out form to indicate when they have left for Winter Break.
All residents should contribute to completing the tasks below. The last person leaving is responsible for making sure that all remaining items on the checklist are completed:
- Empty and defrost your refrigerator(s) (personal fridges in rooms, not provided suite fridges)
- Take out all garbage and perishable items, including food
- Remove all personal belongings in common areas
- Close/latch windows and close window coverings to prevent heating pipes from bursting
- Unplug everything and turn off all lights
- Set thermostat to 68 degrees F (20 degrees C)
- Take all important and valuable items with you (wallet, medication, passport, tickets, etc.)
- Complete maintenance requests for any facility concerns
- Lock your door and complete the Self-Check Out Form online
Additionally, all community area fridges, such as lounges, pantries and kitchens, will be emptied and cleaned over the break period. The kitchens will be cleaned, and all food and containers will be disposed of. Residential Services is not responsible for any items left in common areas and will not reimburse students for lost items.
Not Returning to Campus in January?
If you will not be living on campus next quarter, please complete a cancellation request form. Before you move out by noon on Saturday, December 11, 2021, bring any temp cards or keys (where applicable) to your area desk, then complete the Self-Check Out Form online.
The following items must be completed prior to your departure:
- Complete a cancellation form online (through the NU Housing Portal)
- Pack/move your belongings
- Clean your room/suite/apartment
- Dispose of waste/recycling in proper receptacles
- Ensure all furniture allocated to the room is present
- Close/latch windows and close window coverings
- Set thermostat to 68 degrees F (20 degrees C)
- Turn out lights and lock the door
- If applicable, return any hard keys or temp cards to the area desk
- Pick up any remaining mail/packages
- Submit the Self-Check Out Form
- Verify/update your mailing address with the University after check-out
Residential Services staff, as well as City of Evanston staff, will complete safety inspections in each room over the break period. If you have prohibited items, please bring them home with you when you leave for break. Prohibited items that are found will be removed by University staff and documented through the conduct system. If a prohibited item is removed from your room or suite lounge, a notice will be provided by your Resident Director.
Please note the following:
The Evanston housing code forbids the use or storage in sleeping rooms (including suite lounges) of any appliances for cooking or heating food or beverages, including but not limited to:
- Hot plates
- Coffee makers (except Keurig machines with automatic shut-off)
- Toaster ovens
- Rice cookers
- Water warmers
*Units with kitchens may have cooking appliances in kitchen areas.
The following items are also prohibited or restricted:
- Refrigerators larger than three cubic feet
- Hanging items from ceilings or fire safety equipment, covering more than 50% of wall or window space with decorations
- Lighted candles
- Lit incense (candles or incense that have burnt wicks will be removed)
- Live holiday trees
- Holiday or decorative lights
- Explosives, incendiary materials, weapons, & firearms
- Air conditioners not installed by NU
- Lofts or similar structures not installed by NU
- Water beds
- Alcohol or containers that previously held alcohol (they will be disposed of if everyone in your room is under 21)
- Outlet adapters
- Candle warmers
- Public area furniture in a student room
- Tampering with fire safety equipment.
Please visit the NU Student Handbook (PDF) for more information on policies.
Mail and Package Delivery
Mail and Package Centers will close at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 24, 2021, and reopen at 9:00 a.m. on Monday, November 29, 2021.
The last day of mail delivery for the will be Friday, December 10, 2021. Mail and packages will continue to be accepted at Foster-Walker and Kemper over the break period, but mail will not be distributed across campus. Mail and packages will be available for pick up at Foster-Walker and Kemper between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on weekdays during break, except on University Holidays. Mail delivery and normal package pickup hours will resume on Monday, January 3, 2022.
24 Hour Quiet Hours Begin
24 hour quiet hours begin at 5:00 p.m. on Friday December 3, 2021, and end at 5:00 p.m. on Friday December 10, 2021.
Have a Maintenance Request?
Complete a Maintenance Request before you leave.
Winter Break Housing
Students approved for Winter Break Housing will receive an email with information about moving to the break location.
See your Resident Assistant (RA) or Resident Director (RD).