Visitor Travel

Exchange visitors in F-1 or J-1 status may travel within the U.S. or abroad during their tenure at Northwestern, but you must carry the following documents.

Travel within the U.S.

  • Valid passport
  • Copy of DS-2019

Traveling abroad

  • DS-2019 with a valid travel signature endorsed within the last twelve months by the IO;
  • Valid passport;
  • Valid J-1 visa stamp. If expired, you must obtain a valid stamp to re-enter the U.S.
    Exception: If traveling to Canada or Mexico for less than 30 days, you may re-enter the U.S. with an expired visa stamp.

How to obtain a travel signature

Getting a travel signature is easy! You can either:

  • Drop your I-20/DS-2019 off at the front desk of the IO and pick it up with a new travel signature the following business day after 12noon;
  • Drop by one of our scheduled 'Travel Signatures To Go' sessions and get a travel signature on the spot.  Once scheduled, these times and locations will be posted via the IntNews listserv and event calendar.