J-1 On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is limited to 20-hours per week when class in in-session. However, these 20 total hours can be split between different types of employment, if authorized.

For example, a student working 15 hours per week on an assistantship is eligible for an additional five hours per week of other on- or off-campus employment (off-campus due to economic necessity).

Full-time employment is allowed during official school breaks and annual vacation (i.e. summer quarter).

How to apply for on-campus employment

To apply for on-campus employment authorization, you must submit the J-1 Student On-Campus Employment Authorization Form to their international student advisor.

Any J-1 student not currently sponsored by Northwestern (i.e. Fulbright) must contact their sponsoring agency for the required employment authorization.

Authorization expiration and renewal

The J-1 Student On-Campus Employment Authorization Form will specify the period of time for which on-campus work has been authorized. Authorization can be granted for periods of up to 12-months at a time or for shorter periods.

In order to begin new period of employment, or to continue previously authorized employment (for which the form expiration date has been reached), you must complete a new form.

Reporting employment changes

You must submit a new J-1 Student On-Campus Employment Authorization Form to report any of the following:

  • Change in current employment (i.e. change in the number of hours per week);
  • Change in type of employment or employer;
  • Change in location of employment; and/or
  • Early completion and/or cancellation of student employment.