Graduate International Student Orientation
September 7, 2022
Fall 2022 Graduate International Student Orientation (G-ISO) will be mostly in-person with resources and information available online in the G-ISO Canvas page. New graduate international students admitted for the Fall 2022 term will receive monthly emails (sent to NU email address only) from June - August with information about G-ISO and preparing for arrival.
About the Event
G-ISO Schedule Overview
Tuesday, September 6, 2022 - Airport pick ups
OISS will provide transportation from the Chicago O'Hare International Airport on September 6th only. Sign up for an airport pick up by submitting the Student Airport Pickup request in your OISS Portal profile.
Wednesday, September 7, 2022 - Orientation Day
Select which session you plan to attend by submitting the Graduate International Student Orientation (GISO) Sign Up request in your OISS Portal profile. Sign up for 1 session only.
Session 1: 10:00am-12:00 noon
Session 2: 2:00-4:00 pm
Meet your OISS Advisor and Immigration Information at Norris University Center . You will be assigned to a room based on your last name (family name) to meet your OISS Advisor. You will receive this information by email and with your IPA in August.
All students in both sessions:
12:45-1:45 pm - Health Insurance presentation at the Norris University Center Louis Room. Learn about health insurance and health care in the U.S. and learn about the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
7:00-9:00 PM - Sidekicks Welcome Bonfire at the Lakefill
Additional GISO activities will include:
- NU Campus Tours with Graduate Sidekicks
- Additional social activities
- NU Payroll information for PhD students
Monthly Email Updates to New International Students
Check your Northwestern email for "New to NU" communications each month. See the archives:
- All non-U.S. citizens and non-U.S. immigrant travelers arriving in the U.S. from a foreign country must have proof of an acceptable COVID-19 vaccination. See the CDC website for additional information.
- September 6, 2022 Airport Pick up - OISS will provide transportation from O'hare International Airport to the Northwestern Evanston campus for new graduate students on September 6, 2022. Sign-up by submitting the Student Airport Pickup request in your OISS Portal profile.
- All F-1 and J-1 with an initial I-20 or DS-2019, including transfer students, are permitted to enter the United States 30 days before the program start date listed on their documents.
COVID-19 VaccinationThe COVID-19 vaccination is required for all students at Northwestern. Please review details of NU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement. Students, faculty and staff are required to follow policies, protocols and guidance designed to protect everyone’s health. Essential information:
- You will need to complete the COVID-19 Vaccination Form to register for classes. You will be required to comply BEFORE you will be able to register for classes.
- You will submit the required COVID-19 Vaccination Form either to report your vaccination or to request an exception so that you can arrive and receive the vaccine locally.
- Review the COVID-19 FAQs for International Students for complete information on NU COVID-19 policies and requirements.
- Review New Student FAQs for frequently asked questions and answers on other topics.