How Do I Change My Benefit Elections?

You may change your benefit elections during open enrollment or within 31 days of a qualifying change in family or employment status. Qualifying events are limited to the following changes in:

  • Legal Marital Status including marriage, death of spouse, divorce, legal separation and annulment.
  • Number of Dependents including birth, death, adoption, and placement for adoption.
  • Employment Status including termination or commencement of employment, return from an unpaid leave of absence, and change in benefit plan eligibility.
  • Dependent eligibility status on account of age or similar circumstance.
  • Residence which impacts the eligibility for a benefit plan including HMO networks.

Learn more about eligibility and benefits for these qualifying changes in family and employment status.

Regardless of type, the process of changing your benefit elections is:

  1. Complete your enrollment change online via myHR. Click here for instructions.

  2. Compile required documentation.

    Proof is required for all qualified changes in family status. This may include a birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, civil union certificate, adoption certificate, death certificate, stamped visa, or a letter from prior employer or insurance company.

  3. Provide proof of dependency by uploading your documents into the benefits platform directly.
    • If you are adding a dependent to your health insurance that was not previously verified, you will need to provide documentation to prove dependency.
    • If a dependent was covered within the last 6 months under Northwestern University health insurance then you are not required to re-verify.
    • Learn more about certifying your dependents.
  4. After submitting documentation check your benefits.
    • Allow 5 business days for your changes to be processed and finalized.
    • Log into myHR and review your benefits.


Contact us at or 847-491-7513.