TGS Student Onboarding, Fall 2022
Incoming TGS PhD and MFA graduate students must complete the following items by the deadlines below to be paid by Northwestern at the end of September:
- (All students - Strongly recommended) Friday, 9/16 through Sunday, 9/25
Set up Direct Deposit
- In myHR, navigate to myHR > Pay > My Direct Deposit and enter your U.S. bank information to receive your payments electronically.
- Students who do not provide complete and accurate information by this deadline may experience a delay in receiving their stipend payment.
- Only U.S. bank accounts may be used for direct deposit. See further details at Direct Deposit: Human Resources - Northwestern University.
- (U.S. citizens and permanent residents only - Optional) Submit W-4 tax forms
- Friday, 9/16 through Sunday. 9/25: Enter Federal W-4 online in myHR > Pay > W-4 Tax Information.
- Friday, 9/16 through Tuesday, 9/20: Submit paper or electronic State W-4. Submission instructions at Tax Information: Human Resources - Northwestern University. No typed signatures accepted.
- Important: No tax is removed on scholarships; see scholarship/fellowship tax withholding information.
- See “Tax Information” online for further information.
- (Foreign nationals only - Required) Friday, 9/16/2022 FNIS/ Foreign National Information System – Further details are below.
- Form I-9 Sections 1 and 2 – Further details are below.
FNIS/ Foreign National Information System
FNIS is required of all foreign national students unless the student will be in the U.S for 30 days or less in 2022 (this is for the whole year and includes previous study and future visits). If a student meets that exception they should respond to the FNIS email sent by September 1 and alert the non-resident tax specialist.
Foreign nationals that have been inside the U.S. for 31 days or more in 2022 must complete FNIS by September 16, 2022. This process can be completed from outside the U.S.
Login details will be emailed to each foreign national student, via their Northwestern email address, by September 1, 2022.
PhD-seeking graduate students’ I-9 deadline is delayed until April 30, 2023 if the following conditions are met:
- Enrolled in TGS PhD program, and
- Funding is scholarship/fellowship only (any job that earns wages, including assistantships, additional pay and temp work -- must continue to complete the I-9 process by their third day of work).