HR-Compensation is partnering with various schools/departments throughout NU to create job families in response to requests for clearer definition, differentiation, and clarification of jobs, job evaluation, and salary grade assignment. Each job family developed has resulted in:
- Improved consistency and uniformity of staff jobs across NU
- A clearly defined career path accommodating a hierarchy of increasing job responsibilities and job levels
- Standard language for job accountabilities, knowledge, skills, and education required that enhances consistency and equity in job leveling and salary grade assignment
- Salary grades aligned with both the external pay market and internal pay practices
- Titles consistent with associated job duties and responsibilities
Instructions for using a job family matrix
- Open the file with the summarized matrix.
- Determine the level of job that is needed based upon the duties, responsibilities, skills, education and experience.
- Please note that the incumbent need not complete ALL of the duties/responsibilities listed. If the incumbent completes approximately 80% of the listed duties/responsibilities, then the job is a "match".
- You may wish to double check the salary range of the level that you choose in order to ensure that it is within your budget.
- Request a copy of the corresponding standard job description from your Compensation Consultant.
- Enter in the demographic information at the top of the job description.
- Enter in the “%” column. If the job will NOT complete an entire row in regard to duties/ responsibilities, type in 0% in % column. The row will be entirely deleted when entered into FASIS.
- Complete page 4 eRecruit information if this is a new position that will be posted.
- Please do not change any of the standard wording on these job descriptions. If the incumbent will be completing additional duties/responsibilities that cannot be captured within the wording given, add those as a bullet point beneath the closest standard duty/ responsibility.
- Once completed, please e-mail the job description to your Compensation Consultant for review and processing.
- Specific for the Research Technologist Job Family Matrix: On the actual job descriptions, have the Manager/PI highlight the necessary skills in #1 Principal Accountabilities.
Completed NU job families
- Academic Career Job Family
- Adm Support Job Family
- Animal Health Technician Job Family
- Animal Husbandry Job Family
- BA and DA Job Family
- Core Scientist Job Family
- Core Tech Job Family
- Development Job Family
- Finance, Acct, Audit, & Budget Job Family
- Information Technology Job Family
- OSR Grant Job Family Matrix
- Program & Project Job Family
- Research Administrator Job Family
- Research Study Job Family Matrix
- Research Technologist Job Family
- Veterinarian Job Family