Changes and Enhancements
How does WFS differ from Kronos?
In Short: Timekeeping is timekeeping, and time management at Northwestern is fairly straightforward. You'll see updates to enhance or streamline processes where Kronos currently lacks, a slightly more modern interface, and clarification on some policies.
(Last Updated: March 10, 2022)
The current version of Kronos in use at Northwestern is dated, out of support, and retrofitted to accomplish things it was never designed to do.
As a more modern system, Workforce Software improves over Kronos in the following areas:
- Simplified web access with no Java or VPN required
- Login using Northwestern's Single Sign-On
- Mobile access to view time off and approve timecards
- Better handing for multi-job temps, including student workers
- Easier processing of retroactive timecard changes (i.e. Historical Edits)
- More robust informational, warning, and error messages to provide important notices to employees and approvers
- Better visibility and reporting for time off accruals, time usage, and more
With the implementation of new software comes the ability to streamline current workarounds. The following processes are enhanced as part of this project:
- Management of Temp Sick Time (accrual, usage, and approval) will move from myHR into the timekeeping system
- The current concept of Backup Approvers will be enhanced with a new timecard delegation feature, available to all managers directly within timekeeping
- Enhanced security for Power Users (e.g. school administrators, central offices) will allow for easier access to large groups of employees
- Managers/approvers will again be able to retroactively edit timecards for hours that were missed or incorrectly recorded
- As more members of our community work in remote locations, location-specific rules and features will be more easily implemented
Alongside the implementation of the Workforce Software, a few changes have occurred to existing policies:
- Timecards will no longer be pre-populated; entering work hours and time off will ensure you are paid accurately and on time. (Previously some employees had timecards pre-populated with work hours.)
- Time off (sick, vacation, and personal holidays) can be taken in fractions of hours for both non-exempt and exempt employees. (Previously exempt employees were limited to half- and whole-day usage.)