Commuter Transit Pass Program
Effective January 1, 2019 the Commuter Benefit will be deducted from your paycheck on an post-tax basis.
The University has partnered with PayFlex, a major processor of commuter benefits, to administer our Commuter Transit and Parking programs (the campus parking programs administered by Transportation & Parking Services are not included). See the bottom of this page for information on commuter benefits in New York City, San Francisco, and DC.
Note that you must enroll in the program, make any changes to existing deductions or shut off your deduction by the 5th of the month in which the deduction is to be taken, for transit use beginning in the month following your deduction. Any new enrollments/changes entered after the 5th will take effect one month later. No refunds or adjustments can be provided.
You can order a transit pass or add funds to a fare card online. When you order a monthly pass, the transit authority will mail it to your home; you’ll receive it before the first day of the benefit month. If you use a fare card, you must first buy it from your transit authority. Then you can load money to it online.
In the Chicago area the program covers the popular CTA, Metra, and Pace transit systems as well as the Northwestern Shuttle. Also, employees who use the South Shore, the Chicago Water Taxi and other local transit systems will be able to take advantage of pre-tax deductions.
Creating an Account / Logging into PayFlex
- Navigate to www.payflex.com.
- Click Sign In in the top right corner.
- If you currently have an account, log in using your ID and Password. If you do not have an account, click Create Your Profile, enter your name, address, and the last four digits of your Member ID (Employee ID on your WildCard). If asked for your Employer ID, enter 100398. Complete your registration profile as instructed.
- In the My Dashboard menu on the left, choose Commuter Benefits.
- If this is your first-time enrolling, you will be asked for your mailing address. Click Add/Edit My Address, add your campus address, click Save My Address, and click Proceed to Site.
Enrollment - Purchasing Transit Passes
If you are loading CTA or Pace funds onto a Ventra card, you must first obtain the Ventra card and activate it online at www.ventrachicago.com.
- After logging in and choosing "Commuter Benefits" (see above), use the top menu to select Place an Order and Transit.
- Enter your Zip Code (home or work) and click Search.
- Click the button to the left of the provider for which you wish to purchase transit.
- Select a transit pass value and complete any options as required.
Note: Ventra users must log in to their Ventra account at ventrachicago.com to find the Transit ID number; this is NOT the number on the Ventra card.
- If you would like your pass to be deducted monthly, select Yes to the appropriate question and choose the months for deduction.
- To add more items to your order, click the Continue Shopping button; to finish, click Checkout.
- You will be asked to agree that your order is correct. Review all information and click Place Order.
If you no longer wish to participate in the program, you must log into www.payflex.com before the monthly cutoff date (5th of each month) and shut off your deduction. If you do not shut off your deduction before the cutoff date you will receive your transit benefit for one more month. No refunds or adjustments can be provided.