The cost of getting to and from work may add up quickly, depending on how far you commute and how you travel. Northwestern offers a variety of commuter benefits to help lower the cost of public transit and parking.
Local commuter benefits
Effective January 1, 2019 the Commuter Benefit will be deducted from your paycheck on an post-tax basis.
The University has partnered with PayFlex, a major processor of commuter benefits, to administer our Commuter Transit and Parking programs (the campus parking programs administered by Transportation & Parking Services are not included). See the bottom of this page for information on commuter benefits in New York City, San Francisco, and DC.
If you no longer wish to participate in the program, you must log into www.payflex.com before the monthly cutoff date (5th of each month) and shut off your deduction. If you do not shut off your deduction before the cutoff date you will receive your transit benefit for one more month. No refunds or adjustments can be provided.
The program offers the following benefits:
- Easy online enrollment through the PayFlex portal (www.payflex.com);
- A single monthly deduction covering the total of all your transit deductions;
- Monthly train and shuttle passes sent directly to your home;
- Ability to enroll for commuter parking benefits for parking at commuter train station parking lots;
- No forms to complete and submit. Everything is done online;
- See PayFlex's Offical Commuter Benefit Flyer.
- To enroll, see the Parking Program page or Transit Pass Program page. Or, view the complete guide, Enrolling in Commuter Benefits Quick Steps.
- How to use the PayFlex commuter benefit to buy Metra passes using the Ventra card and Ventra app.
For answers to additional questions regarding this new program, please see our Questions & Answers page.
New Commuter Benefit for New York, San Francisco and District of Columbia
Northwestern University employees located in or around New York City, San Francisco, and District of Columbia must be offered the option to purchase pre-tax commuter benefits. To meet this obligation, Northwestern University has partnered with Commuter Check Edenred to streamline the process of ordering, using, and paying for commuting expenses.
Starting January 1, 2019, orders placed via the Payflex system will cease. Any transit pass you intent to purchase with pre-tax funds from your pay check must be ordered through the new ordering platform by December 10, 2018 for January’s benefit.
Please follow enrollment steps to create an account to ensure continuous pre-tax benefits.