Death of a Dependent

After the loss of a dependent, you may need to update or change the following information:

Remove your dependent from your health, dental and vision insurance:

  • Complete your enrollment change online at myHR within 31 days of the loss. A death certificate is required and can be uploaded into the system directly.
  • If you were previously covered under your late spouse’s plan, you and your dependents may elect coverage with Northwestern University.
  • You cannot change the health or dental plan in which your family is enrolled.
  • Insurance premiums are not prorated. Regardless of the date of the loss, you are financially responsible for the entire month of insurance premiums.

Change your life insurance coverage:

  • If your spouse passed away, be sure to waive spouse life insurance in myHR.
  • Waive your dependent child life insurance if you no longer have a qualifying dependent child in myHR.
  • Change your life insurance beneficiaries through myHR.

Reevaluate your eligibility for the Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA):

  • If your spouse passed away you may be newly eligible for the Dependent Care FSA and the Employer Match. To enroll in an FSA log into myHR. To apply for the Employer Match submit the Dependent Care University Match Application PDF Document.
  • If you no longer have qualifying dependent children, you must waive the Dependent Care FSA and the Employer Match. Any unused money remaining in the account will not be reimbursed.