Dependent Enters/Leaves the United States

When your dependent enters or leaves the United States for an indefinite period of time, you may need to update or change the following information. Eligible dependents who are dropped can be added back during Open Enrollment with coverage effective January 1.

Add or remove dependents from your insurance plan:

  • Complete your enrollment changes online via myHR and upload a copy of your dependent’s stamped passport within 31 days of their arrival or departure.
  • You cannot change the health or dental plan in which your family is enrolled.
  • Insurance premiums are not prorated. Regardless of the date your dependents enter or leave the United States, you are financially responsible for the entire month of insurance premiums.

Increase or decrease your life insurance:

  • You may increase or decrease your spouse life insurance with coverage up to your total basic and supplemental life insurance, not to exceed $500,000, in $10,000 increments. Complete the Evidence of Insurability PDF Document form to apply for additional coverage over the guaranteed issue amount of $30,000.
  • Increase or decrease your dependent child life insurance with coverage up to $25,000 in $5,000 increments.

Reevaluate your eligibility for the Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA):

  • If you no longer have dependent children in the United States, you must waive the Dependent Care FSA and the Employer Match. Any unused money remaining in the account will not be reimbursed.
  • Both you and your spouse must be employed full-time (or be full-time students) to be eligible for the Dependent Care FSA.
  • If your gross household income is not greater than $130,000, you may be eligible for the Employer Match. To apply, use the Dependent Care University Match Application PDF Document and include your most recently filed 1040 federal tax form.